Brettmm92

Seeking water soluble fertilizer

In my past, I've used pretty much compost and attracted decomposers with mulch etc. for fertilizer as well as used fish fertilizer for a boost if plants needed it. I now plan to have a few plants in containers and want them to do well but was hoping there could be a fertilizer kind of like fish fertilizer but not as expensive. Is this the kind of situation where people use miracle grow? Any suggestions are appreciated as I feel kind of lost. If it helps your answer, I'm hoping to stick to organic as well as a fertilizer that doesn't have a negative impact on the environment.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I guess you probably have an idea of what happens with soluble fertilizers, like miraclegro, since you are looking for something that won't have a negative impact on the environment! Unfortunately, there really isn't anything soluble, like that, that is organic, and won't get into the water table, like soluble fertilizers do. It's like a catch 22. I have actually seen some liquid hydroponics nutrients, listed as organic, but they are definitely not less expensive than fish fertilizer!

growbynumbers
Newly Registered

Brettmm92 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:19 pm
In my past, I've used pretty much compost and attracted decomposers with mulch etc. for fertilizer as well as used fish fertilizer for a boost if plants needed it. I now plan to have a few plants in containers and want them to do well but was hoping there could be a fertilizer kind of like fish fertilizer but not as expensive. Is this the kind of situation where people use miracle grow? Any suggestions are appreciated as I feel kind of lost. If it helps your answer, I'm hoping to stick to organic as well as a fertilizer that doesn't have a negative impact on the environment.
Hi There is a company selling a vegan liquid fertiliser made in Holland.

applestar
Mod

Hm. I guess then the impact on environment would depend on how close the OP lives to Holland.

I have tried off and on to consider the carbon footprint of shipping distance. I can’t claim to be good about this consistently though :oops:

What about vermicomposting or Bokashi ferment/culturing then making liquid fertilizer by making AACT (Actively Aerated Compost Tea)?

I admit to not doing this now, but I did try following the regimen for a season. It’s tedious at first but cycles easily once you get into the routine.

This year, I’m primarily experimenting with cultured growing tips of mugwort, hardwood ash, eggshell and crabshell extract vinegar, Ehime AI-2 home cultured probiotics and beneficial microbes, home brew of fruit scraps, etc. as well as home made bokashi fertilizer made with used organic buckwheat hull pillow filling instead of rice hulls.

growbynumbers
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:17 am
Hm. I guess then the impact on environment would depend on how close the OP lives to Holland.

I have tried off and on to consider the carbon footprint of shipping distance. I can’t claim to be good about this consistently though :oops:

What about vermicomposting or Bokashi ferment/culturing then making liquid fertilizer by making AACT (Actively Aerated Compost Tea)?

I admit to not doing this now, but I did try following the regimen for a season. It’s tedious at first but cycles easily once you get into the routine.

This year, I’m primarily experimenting with cultured growing tips of mugwort, hardwood ash, eggshell and crabshell extract vinegar, Ehime AI-2 home cultured probiotics and beneficial microbes, home brew of fruit scraps, etc. as well as home made bokashi fertilizer made with used organic buckwheat hull pillow filling instead of rice hulls.
made in Holland but already in the UK. I get your point re shipping tho.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”