Christine Thomas
Newly Registered

Greywater with Peat Moss to water Avocado tree

My husband and I are very novice gardeners in Southern California (Hardiness Zone 10b). We’ve recently been working on one section of our (hillside) garden and realized that there was a greywater pipe already going into our soil from the two upstairs bathrooms of our house (done by previous onwers). Right now we believe it’s just a single pipe opening under the soil, but we figured we could hopefully utilize this to water a couple of trees - one a mature Pitis Porum and ideally a second new tree - preferably a Haas Avocado. The new Avocado would be in a separate part of the garden, around 12 feet downhill from the Pitius Porum.

My initial quesiton is this: We were advised by a local greywater enthusiast that we could easily water the two trees in the following way:

1. dig a 4 foot deep hole just uphill from each tree.
2. Fill it with Peat Moss
3. Place the pipe around 6” below the surface, emptying out into the Peat moss.
4. (A Y-pipe would divert the water, half to the upper slope Pitis, the other half down to the new avocado tree).

Thus our bathroom greywater would in theory water these two trees, with the Peat moss providing a steady (natural) reservoir, without having to go into complex greywater distribution/irrigation systems.

Any thoughts, advice or tips?

Many thanks,

Christine

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”