charlotteyz
Newly Registered

Will throwing apple peels/peach peel directly on soil help plant growth?

Hi,

I've been just throwing apple and peach peels on soil beds to see if it will help plants grow. Do you think it will? (no composting beforehand, but... maybe it will help?)

THanks.

applestar
Mod

Leaving desirable wildlife value scraps like these will attract scavengers first depending on your location. — MOREOVER these will likely get moldy and unsightly if the wildlife don’t remove them first.

In my garden they would be welcomed (and removed) by squirrels, chipmunks and birds. Some locations they would attract rats and field mice, or skunks, opossums, or groundhogs. Bigger birds and animals like Deer and armadillos, those pigs — javelina? — Bears.... Or undesirable pest bugs like ants, cockroaches, or other bugs. Some people get turtles visiting (or living) in their garden. It all depends on your location.

Note too that once they add your garden to their forage territory, they will return and may set sights on other garden vegetation’s that’s you had no intention of offering.

When using raw/uncomposted kitchen scraps, it’s better to bury them or tuck them under the mulch at least. it’s better to locate not too close to the plants but just beyond their root zone in case something tries to dig them up. Then as long as they are unmolested, they will decompose and be available when the plants grow roots to reach.

One technique I’ve been exploring is “trench composting”

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”