iskhan
Cool Member

Lemon plant seem something wrong

Hi experts

My lemon plant's old leaves become light green or fade color and half dry and half green as shown in the below image1
IMG_20200627_182923.jpg
But new leaves looking Ok as shown in the image2
IMG_20200627_182940.jpg
Is it normal? Or it's something wrong?

Waiting for your helpful reply.
Regards
ISKhan

TNCatHerder

No experience with citrus, are you sure it's not sun scald?

iskhan
Cool Member

Maybe you are right, now a days temperature is very hot and humid 36C & 60% humidity.

iskhan
Cool Member

So do I wait for change of weather?

applestar
Mod

I don’t know much about them either, but first cut off affected leaves — dead areas will just attract mold/fungal disease. If you had used some kind of spray with oil in it, that could have caused sunburn as well. Another semi-common patio plant casualty can be result of unthinking guest pouring unconsumed alcohol in the pot. (Be sure to educate your guests on proper etiquette around potted plants :wink:)

If it seems like too much sun, consider moving them — it’s also possible it is getting reflected heat ...is that a wall? So moving away from the wall to allow for some air circulation might help.

I think best to be out there with the plant during different times of the day to check on sun exposure and just how hot the sun/air feels to your own bare skin.

You could also set up some shade cloth or awning over the plants if they can’t be moved.

iskhan
Cool Member

As per your advice I cut off all half yellow, full yellow leaves and dried branches. Also tried some shade on it.
Now Butterfly's caterpillars eating the leaves I remove them but new arrive how to get rid off them?

joe12
Newly Registered

hope you are all fine
Anybody tell me my lemon plant growth is good or not. I am not a Gardner but I care my plant. Basically I am very worried about my skin. Lemon is also used for food tighten skin. Lemon has also many benefits. So you tell me its growth is good or not. If not what should I do :oops: :oops: :eek: ?

imafan26
Mod

Other things that can cause leaves to burn like that are
fertilizer or salt burn. The leaves on the bottom look more damaged than ones on the top. Usually the leaves most exposed to the sun will get burned. If they are up against a wall, the burn should be mostly on one side. I take it you did move the plants?

Don't fertilize stressed plants. You need to identify the stressor and treat that first. Nutritional deficiencies are very different.
Water well. Make sure you have good quality water. Use a water filter for your hose if you have a lot of salt in your water. Rain water would be better. When you do water, flush thoroughly to leach out salt.

The pots look a little small. If the pots dry out too fast leaves usually will first wilt and then dry and curl up, yellow and then drop. You have a well drained mix, but you would have to water enough not to stress the plants.

I would think about repotting into bigger pots when the plants are looking better. I would not do it now unless it was desperate. Stressed plants don't need more stress.

The type of pot and media you choose will depend on your situation. Ideally the pot should completely dry out in 2-3 days. If it is still wet, it is too wet. If it dries out daily, that is fine as long as you water it daily. The pots also need to be sized to the plant. If it is drying out too fast, then up pot it and add some organics. I don't use potting soil for citrus because they need air space and organic mixes compact. I do use cinder, but it holds no nutrients and holds only a small amount of water. I don't mind having to water every 1-2 days and monthly feeding because I don't have to repot because of media compaction or breaking down. 30 year old trees in pots are hard to repot or move. Grapefruit and Meyer lemons are the most troublesome since they need very large pots. Dwarf citrus take to pots better and don't try to breakout as often. I have a couple of citrus trees that I have to cut down because they have gone to ground.

https://www.kellogggarden.com/blog/gard ... s-in-pots/

The terra cotta pots in joe12 post look good. I would be careful about terra cotta pots in summer heat. They can get very hot. In the summer time I like to insulate pots by grouping them with other pots to surround them or double pot them so lessen heat transference.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”