Grandma99
Cool Member

Recycling loose leaf teas

I have stored several loose-leaf teas (in air-tight jars) which are 5 years old. Varieties are Darjeeling, Scottish Breakfast, green tea etc. I don't want to throw them away and I haven't started a compost yet. Can I put them on top of vegetables or plants as a mulch (compost) and let them decompose? I hate to throw anything organic into the garbage can!

If I can't use them as mulch, can I save them for the compost once I get it set up? Thank you for any help; I've researched the issue and find nothing similar here or on Google.

applestar
Mod

How about put them in a bucket, add hot water or just add water and let it sit in the sun (sun tea) — then allow to cool, dilute and water plants with it.... then use the spent tea leaves (mix into their bedding) to feed your worm bin.

Grandma99
Cool Member

Thank you - I shall! I am also purchasing boogie brew, 5-gallon bucket and air pump to make compost 'tea' including some Ancient Forest! I love this gardening stuff! and I'm glad I won't have to waste these teas! :-) I appreciate you very much!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”