Dawg

New Plan, cowpeas n clover....

I still can't find any Alyce clover and heard from the distributor that they had a small crop so price and availability will limit its use....

SO to increase my N in my fields I'm planting Landino clover (4 lbs per acre) and Iron-Clay cowpeas. The clover is inoculated seed but I had to order some inoculant for the cowpeas (peanut, cowpea inoculant) as apparently people here don't inoculate them as none of the seed n feed stores carried it. I'm planting 50 lbs of the cowpeas to each acre. This will put tons (literally) of biomass and depending on the clover and peas do the clover is said to add 100-130 lbs of Nitrogen per acre and up to 150 lbs of Nitrogen from the peas. This should do my soil very well and make my fall crops grow like gangbusters. I have already light disked my old cow fields and now am going to use a turning plow to flip the top 12" or so of old grass field and then light disk it again after broadcasting the cowpea seed, then a light chain harrow after spreading the clover seed. That should put most of the seed at their correct depth of 1.5-2" and 0.5" respectfully. I'm sayin this here so others that are looking for a cheaper way to put nitrogen in their garden, fields, raised beds. But one thing to remember about both is to NOT let them go to seed. Also the Landino Clover can also be invasive as it grows and spreads by shoots that can then grow roots and propogate and spread that way. I will be turning it all under with a turning plow so I don't have to worry about that. But small places that others here may just want to cut it down, or turn over with a fork may want to just use the cowpeas to prevent the clover for possibly becoming a weed in their garden. But after looking at many ways of adding nitrogen to my soil, this was the cheapest and better than even using chemical ferts. Hope this helps ya'll....

DAWG ([^.^]) woof woof ya'll

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”