orenoren
Newly Registered

does drip irrigation contaminates the water

hello
I use drip irrigation system and I noticed that the water that goes to the plants frome the emitters taste like plastic.
the tubing and the emitters are also exposed to the sun which I belive release more contaminates from tubing and emitters to the water.
I try to grow organicly in containers and avoid chemicals.and I think that ן irrigate unintentionally water that are full with contaminates.
couldnt find any data about it.
any solutions or insights ??
thanks

applestar
Mod

That’s an interesting observation. I’ve often wondered about that. I generally do try to be choosy about the plastic containers I use....

I suppose one could try to minimize such a situation in the tubing by trying to use “food grade” components/lines, and look for BPA-free assurances, but is that all worth it?

I don’t have drip irrigation (as yet) but I’m slowly replacing my garden hoses.... I keep my eyes open for hoses and tubing on Craigslist to see what kind of prices I’m looking at even discounted — I have seen coiled “lines” remnants from soda machines, hose from some kind of a bar remodeling, and once saw a length of BPA-free tubing that I think was for hydroponics (so may be it’s possible to find an entire system that is used in the hydroponics industry? Emitters sure used in some hydroponic set ups, too.)

What you said about exposed to the sun — I Imagine you could try to insulate or shade them from the sun a bit?

orenoren
Newly Registered

hi
I can shade some of my system but the taste was in all of my system regadless the sun.I belive the sun make it worse.
the taste was realy bad,I will looke for other tubing with good specification but I think they are all the same.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Almost all tubing, including regular water hose will pick up the taste of the plastic. The last couple of hoses I have purchased have warnings on them that say not to be used for humans to drink out of. I have no idea about what contaminates would be in the tubes that would affect plants. Strange taste may not indicate contaminates.

imafan26
Mod

Ditto that. It is also not a great idea to be drinking out of hoses especially long hoses left in the sun. There may be water sitting in the hoses cooking/stagnant for a while and who knows if a slug or other critter takes refuge in the hose at some time. Hoses left in pans or tubs of water pose another danger if the water pressure should fail. It can suck non potable water into your water supply and may contaminate it. You should always use care in storing your hoses and an anti syphon device on the hose bib would not hurt either if you keep your hoses connected.

cosimo
Newly Registered

Hi,

The problem is just that the water remains still, and more, in the heat of the sun takes the taste and is the smell of plastic.
But don't worry, it's not a problem for irrigation. :-)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”