harryhh
Cool Member

Worm Castings

Hello Folks,

This is a neighbor's rototilled garden and I was wondering if I should recommend worm castings for the areas of the garden that don't produce as well as other areas? He's adding compost and fertilizer.

He has been growing a garden here for 7 years that I know of, and I think longer. Only last year and this year is he adding any amendments.

As I understand it, worm castings do several beneficial things for the soil. One of the things that it does is add worms to the soil. The garden is rototilled.
* Does that mean that there will be more worms in the soil next year also?

I read one should add 1/2 to 1 inch of castings to the soil and mix in. That would be way too expensive.
*Would just a dusting of raked in castings be beneficial?

I was also thinking of recommending Jobe's Organic Fertilizer with Biozome.
*Isn't that helpful in adding some of the micro-organisms back to the rototilled soil?

Harry

Theclowndog

Worm castings are an excellent source of nutrients for poor soil. But you're right about it being too expensive in large quantities. I would add whatever you have on hand, even a dusting. But better yet, encourage him to make or buy and use compost.

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks Theclowndog,

Last year he added some manure compost and this year he added compost and fertilizer. In about 20% of the garden, including that area which doesn't produce as well, he added some lime. I don't think he needed the lime here in north central Illinois, but luckily he didn't add enough to lower the ph too much.

I will encourage him to add a little extra compost and other stuff to that poor area.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Worm castings do not add worms to the soil any more than cow manure adds cows to the soil! :) The castings are just worm poop.

And re: " I don't think he needed the lime here in north central Illinois, but luckily he didn't add enough to lower the ph too much." Lime RAISES pH, not lowers it. That means it makes it more alkaline/less acid. To lower the pH is to make it more acid, but that is not what lime does.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”