ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Could Use Some Suggestions on This Mess Too

There are some obvious thing: needs mulch, hostas are ringing and need to be quartered, drawf lilac, needs to be hacked back, stones need to be place, pond need to get running, and a few others.

Goal here is to have some stuff in bloom all season in Southern New England. The tulips on the edges are flanked by irises, There are a few daisy kind of annuals which have really come up yet, and 9 out of 10 fox glove didn't survive the winter. I can sort of get stuff to grow, but have little to no idea what to put where.

Backdrop: 3 falls ago, I went into that mess with a weed whacker with hard plastic weed blades and a micro tiller/cultivator, then worked in maybe 3 yards of good compost. Buried a bunch of bulbs in the ground because I knew how to deal with them. So far so good. Now that is actually a garden again, I am kind of clueless about what to plant where and what to move where and when to do it.

Any help/suggestions or ideas welcomed.

imafan26
Mod

I think it looks pretty good.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Thanks, but it looks like an unorganized mess to me.

Just have no clue what to do here.

End goal is to have a mix of color in blooms spread across the garden through out the season, and I have no clue how to get there - is I is just an idjit.

Secondary goal is to have everything in some kind of linear symmetry so it is easy to mulch around with enough space included to make weeding/maintenance easier than a tiptoe dance.

Had the twisted idea of kind of starting over and gridding the whole thing out so the plants end up in little clusters in rank and file. Then putting early blooming daffodils in one corner and working toward the diagonally opposite corner with different daffodils which bloom later and later until I reach the opposite corner with the latest blooming ones. I idea being to create a sort of slow moving wave of daffodil blooms diagonally across the garden.

Then do the same thing with tulips or something in the other direction

Spent a couple of hours looking for a genus species list with relative bloom times, but found nothing even close.

I guess what I am going to end up having to do is mix up and space out what is already in there... little groups of "A" here, here and here, broken up by little groups of "B" there, there and there...

Part of what is going on in there right now are just random lines of color at random times. Thinking that breaking up the lines into little clumps mixed through the garden might look better.

I just do not have a clue as to what to actually do.

trying to find a list of daffolis and tupis

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”