dragonthumbs

touble with soil

Hi Everyone.

This is the first gardening season where I have had trouble with my seedlings. I think it maybe my soil. I am using Pro Mix mixed with pearlite. First year I have ever used pro mix, and first year I am having problems with my seedlings. My seeds are exceptiona and very hardy, but having a difficult time growing in the medium. Has anyone else had problems with Pro Mix before?

applestar
Mod

Which ProMix? ProMix product line has several versions with/without additional ingredients, but I believe all contain wetting agent to help with the hydrophobic peat that may or may not be considered organic. (There IS a rather expensive ProMix Ultra? Professional? -- *Potting Mix* -- That is labeled organic and contains fertilizers)

But most of them don't contain any fertilizers and tends to be acidic from the peat moss, so needs a little lime to buffer it. It's good for starting and sprouting but needs dilute fertilizer once true leaves start to grow. I'm using ProMixBX (added beneficial mycorrhyzae) with a bit of Dolomitic lime and vermicompost to start the seeds, then uppoting to a mix with more vermicompost, added fertilizer, Dolomitic lime, and other ingredients depending to kind of plant.

dragonthumbs

It's the promix seed starter. I remember now, the years before I used a different kind of soil, still Pro Mix but it was in a red bag, that stuff was great, but the kind I got this year... not so much.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”