Equator21
Newly Registered

Transplanting Carrots

This is my first post, so hello, everyone.
I'm growing carrots for my first time. They are under lights, right now, and I hope to get them out when the community garden opens in early May. They are in 4" peat pots, and Black Gold seedling starter mix. They are about 4" high right now, and seem to be doing well.
When I transplant them, should I 1.) cut the sides of the peat pots or 2.) remove them from the peat pots or 3.) leave them in the peat pots?
Thank you very much.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For most other things, I would say get rid of the peat pots, which I hate.

But carrots do not transplant well.

So to keep from disturbing the root, I would suggest soak the peat pot in a bucket of water for a few minutes to help it break down easier. Cut the bottom off the peat pot and cut up the sides of the pot so the sides are separated. Then plant the whole thing, pot and all. Keep it moist (but not wet) as much as you can, to keep the peat pot from drying out and sucking moisture away from your potting soil and seedling.

Next time sow your carrot seeds directly in the ground.

Equator21
Newly Registered

Thank you for the information. When May rolls around, I'll probably plant many carrot seeds, as well as these plants, then. I'll do what you said and hope for the best.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Carrots are cold hardy. If you look at the seed packet, it probably says plant as soon as the ground can be worked. That means it is unfrozen and dried out enough that it doesn't clump up if you turn it. For me that's usually about a month earlier than average last frost date. You likely could put carrot seed in the ground sometime in April.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, carrots are best planted from seed directly where it will grow. You can plant now.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have always planted carrot seeds in the snow. Sprinkle seeds on the snow you can see where they are. When spring comes, snow melts, when weather gets right they germinate. I planted carrot seeds in Oct once they never germinated until spring, I was always told that carrot seeds require 3 weeks of cold weather before they will germinate.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, my neighbor just gave me a gallon of carrots from her garden, because she had too many. She planted them in the fall and they over-wintered and are ready now. I didn't even know you could do that! But they are very cold hardy. They are best direct seeded in the ground.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”