yank
Newly Registered

Mushroom compost

I just started a new garden in my new home in NW, Fl. Small, 8'x8', and I used cypress to surround it. I put mushroom compost I got from the local nursery. Is this good for starting my new garden? I asked for top soil, but this was the closest they had.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Did you get a lab analysis from the garden center? How fresh is it? Was it setting outside long enough to pick up wind-blown seeds? Are you going to mix it into your soil or are you using it as the main component of your garden?

applestar
Mod

NW Florida... do you have sandy soil?

I think of Mushroom compost as a really good addition to in-ground garden bed. Good ones have no weed seeds so I incorporate in to tope layers. I tend to sheet mulch so I fill the lower layers with unfinished compost, bulky stuff like rotting woodpile branches and pulled weeds, hay, turned over sod, weedy soil, etc. as well as mineral amendments like lime, rock phosphate, greensand, etc. then put down layers of paper then top with weed-free bagged top soil, garden soil, mushroom compost, sand, used coffee grounds... top with mulch like grass clippings, leaves, straw, wood shavings, etc.

What are you thinking of growing?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

We can't get mushroom compost here. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it but have never been able to try it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love it! When I was making my own potting soil (which I hope to get back to, but having harder time finding my ingredients here in the rural South), I used mushroom compost as the nutrient ingredient along with some worm castings when I had them. The mushroom compost has a very nice texture for potting soil you will start seeds in, very fine, it doesn't have weed seeds, and stuff grows like crazy in it. You might look on line. These days some of the big hardware and dept stores have order on line and pick up from your local store with no shipping fee.

(In case you are interested, my eco-friendly sustainable potting mix recipe is one third mushroom compost (left over from growing mushrooms), one third coconut coir (outside fuzzy stuff from coconuts) instead of the peat moss that people often use, one-third rice hulls (left over from milling rice) instead of perlite or vermiculite. All of this is agricultural by-products and all but the coconut coir can be fairly locally sourced. None of it is mined, heated to high temperatures or otherwise environmentally destructive to produce.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Some Lowes stores nearby sell mushroom compost but even those are over an hour drive. I have no Idea where to buy rice hulls, couldn't find any place in the state in a google search. Coir fiber I can get. I know of a couple hydroponic shops that sell it. I love coir fiber, it keeps the "soil" in large outdoor containers from packing down.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”