drainey0

Are this mushrooms bad in my garden

Will they hurt me or my plants or make the food toxic? I pulled them out of my garden.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

It is a natural part of decay in your garden. I would not eat it if it grew in my garden, because I can't ID it. Pluck it out and discard it.

Alex F.T.
Newly Registered

Thanks for posting this. I had a couple of those growing in a houseplant and was wondering the same thing.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

just for the record, no mushroom growing in your garden has the ability to render your veggies poisonous/toxic, unless maybe you rub them together. generally, they should be taken as a good sign that you have enough organic matter to support them.

drainey0

awesome thank you so much for the info..... mushrooms on a house plant probably aint a good thing if its a indoor house plant.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If you put your soil under a strong magnifying glass, you are going to see endless strings of thin white threads. Them threads are the working end of mushrooms. The toad-stool you see on top of soil is only the fruiting body.

Many plants have an economy of exchange with those threads. And when there are none, your plant will not do as well.

You want them in your soil. Oh, they reproduce with spoor a microscopic wind distributed seed. Its life, get comfortable with it.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”