wisconsindead

What's wrong with my Strawberries?

Please refer to the attached photo. I am unsure as to what is causing this deformity. About 1/3 of the berries look like this. Any ideas?
IMG_20160713_172747.jpg
Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Something is eating them. My guess is slugs, but possibly birds:

wisconsindead

Appreciate your input rainbowgardener. I have a cage on top of the plants that should prevent birds from accessing them. I will look closer at the plant.

Do you think a nutrient deficiency or infection could cause this? I just ask because it seems to be just the tip of the berry being deformed. I figure if something was eating them, the location of the deformity would be more erratic.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm no expert, but I'm not thinking disease and it looked more like slugs than birds anyway. You will never see the slugs unless you come out late at night with a flashlight and look for them. Your cage would not keep them out.

wisconsindead

Thanks rainbowgardener.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Pillbugs/sowbugs will do that kind of damage too. Same procedure as slugs, check after dark for the culprit. Another way to check is to lay some cardboard on the ground near your plants. It has to be under any mulch you have in the bed. Water the soil well before laying the cardboard down. The next day lift up the cardboard and see what's under it. Be careful if you have snakes in the area. Snakes can hide under the cardboard also.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”