cjschmitt
Newly Registered

How to Deter Grasshopper Damage to Vegetables?

I have some damage to my lettuce that I am sure is coming from grasshoppers. I figure I need to use nolo but until it takes effect I would like to apply something else to keep them off my veggies. Any advice would be appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since I don't live where there are grasshoppers, I never heard of nolo. For others in the same boat, here's some information about it:

https://greenmethods.com/nolo-bait-grasshopper-control/

Sounds like good stuff, in the category with milky spore and Bt, a disease that affects only the target population.

In the meantime, you could use Neem oil. It also is not a poison and does not work on contact. When leaf eaters ingest the residue sprayed on leaves, it acts as a hormone disruptor, anti-feedant etc. It takes a few days to kill the critter, but the first thing that happens is that they stop eating, so it isn't so bad.

imafan26
Mod

I had locust damage when I lived on a perimeter lot. They ate everything overnight. I ended up having to net my garden against them and the leaf footed bugs. If you have any tall grass or weeds get rid of that, to deny them habitat.

cjschmitt
Newly Registered

How about a garlic spray?

imafan26
Mod

None of the organic sprays worked for me and I did not want to use any chemical ones on food plants. The perimeter lot I had bordered on a ravine so grass and weeds were and abundant breeding ground. I used to go out and catch the bugs in the afternoons. Nolo bait is an organic bait but it has variable effectiveness and is not available in my area. The insect net was the most effective solution, but care had to be taken to make sure that the net was achored and covered down to the ground so the bugs could not get in. I also had problems with birds that would tear the nets and let everyone in.
https://agresearch.montana.edu/wtarc/pro ... tSheet.pdf

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”