drainey0

making your own bone meal

does anyone here ever take there chicken bones from dinner and make bone meal with it?

applestar
Mod

Not as such, but DH sometimes likes to take bones and boil the heck out of them -- our biggest stock pot filled to the top, on high roiling boil for hours. This is done in winter time when heat isn't an issue. (I'm more in favor of simmering gently, but first couple of times I tried to turn the heat down he got obnoxious about it, so I leave him at his task.And his stock has very different flavor from the gently simmered broths and tastes good, I had to admit. :wink: )

By the time they are done, these bones literally crumble -- chicken bones especially -- so you have to strain them out carefully, and even rib and soup bones will crush when hit with the back of the garden shovel. I actually put them in the compost pile, well buried.

drainey0

I just planed on putting them threw the blender I have a pretty good blender that slices threw bone with no problem I was just curious if anyone here does it.

Should I be worried about using bones from chickens that had growth hormones used on them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My mother cooked with a pressure cooker. She would pressure cook a whole chicken 1 hour, a beef roast for 90 minutes, bones mostly dissolved into the liquid, it added a lot of flavor to all the things she cooked.

If you want to make bone meal a pressure cooker will be better than cooking on the stove in a pot. 60 minutes for small bones and 90 minutes for larger, if bones are not dissolved you squeeze them with your fingers they crumb into powder like dry dirt.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”