Organifyed
Newly Registered

What is this on my pepper plants?

Hello,

I am new to gardening. My garden seems to be doing very well. Be these spots appeared on my pepper plants and I would like to know if I need to take action or is there a treatment for this?

I live in VA zone 7a.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Organifyed
Attachments
Spotted pepper leaf
Spotted pepper leaf

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

When did you plant them? And can you show us more pictures of the plant(s) as a whole? Can you add a picture of the underside of the leaves that are affected?

Organifyed
Newly Registered

Hey Lindsay, At the moment I don't have a picture of the underside of the leaves but this morning I removed about 5 leaves total from 2 pepper plants. I have a polyculture environment and I really want to avoid mass destruction. I have tomatoes, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Purple Basil and Crookneck Squash in my raised bed.
Attachments
Whole Pepper Plant
Whole Pepper Plant
2016-06-21 09.54.32.jpg (161.78 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

So, my knee jerk response is that it's likely just sunburn...

We're these guys tender when you put them out? How long have they been I. The ground when you saw these spots starting? Do you have more than one pepper plant? Is this on them all?

But I need to see the undersides. Could be some type of Fungal issue.

If you don't think it's sunburn, I would lean towards something fungal.

I use need oil and baking soda as a preventative spray. I spray weekly. If I see anything funky on the plants, I promptly remove the affected parts.

Best thing you can do for fungal issues is prevention and regular preventative maintenance (damage control) once it arrives. You can never reverse it.

imafan26
Mod

If it has been raining the spots may be bacterial speck. If it is early picking off the leaves will help. Copper Sulfate will help control the spread. Spray the tomatoes as well. If the disease keeps coming back it is best to pull the plants. You cannot do much once it becomes systemic.

https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... ctSpot.htm

applestar
Mod

First impression -- stink/leaf foot bug pee/poop. If the spots wash off, then pretty much confirmed.

Organifyed
Newly Registered

Thanks a bunch! Applestar I have seen a stink bug or two around the yard so I will wash them off. Imafan 26 I will go and get some Copper Sulfate to treat my peppers and tomatoes. I hope it's not Fungal because I have a polyculture in my raised bed. Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Jalapeños, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Purple and Green Basil and Crookneck Squash. Should I spray all plants with the Copper Sulfate?

Organifyed
Newly Registered

Hey Lindsay, I use Neem Oil as well. Should add baking soda to it to act as a fungicide? I'm trying to stay organic?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's an acceptable way to help manage fungal issues.

I wouldn't pull your plants unless you can get someone like your local extension office to CONFIRM that it's bacterial. Fungal issues just happen here, not much you can do about it, but keep up on the removal of the affected leaves, and practice good sanitation between plants.

I personally don't use copper based products. The worms don't like it. I would also use caution when mixing copper based sprays with other products, as it can cause burning.

On the bright side, I hope it's just poo!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”