Trhopkins83
Newly Registered

Tomato disease in organic garden

My tomato plants have been in the ground for about a month when dark rust looking a spots started affecting my early girl, brandy wine, black brandy wine, and Saint Lucia . My sweet million cherry is unaffected. The spots have yellow around the outside . I don't know exactly what it is. Quite a few have the same symptoms so I'm a little puzzled. I don't know what to do next. The early girl has 18 tomatoes on her and the others have 5 or 6. Is this a fatal disease?
image.jpeg

Algida

Septoria, I guess.
Can you spray a fungicide, or going organic?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is indeed septoria, a fungal disease that tomato plants are very prone to. Mine almost always get it before the end of the season. The good news is that they can live with it for a long time.

Just pull off all the affected leaves. Then spray everything else (being sure to spray the undersides of the leaves) with an organic fungicide. These include: diluted milk, baking soda solution, hydrogen peroxide. You can't use them together, but you can rotate them and see what works best for you. You will need to repeat every couple weeks.

Trhopkins83
Newly Registered

Thank you, yes I am trying to stay away from chemicals. I just started trying to use the diluted milk mixture . I will try the other ones and see if that helps. If not, I may try serenade. Late blight devastated what was the best harvest I've ever had last year. Seeing these problems, this early, is very disappointing but hopefully with the natural mixtures u mentioned, I can keep them at bay.. Thanks again

Algida

For next year, try planting them in different location, if possible.
Are you growing them from seeds, or buying plants? If buying them, try different provider.

imafan26
Mod

Fungal diseases are hard to control once they start. the antifungal treatments have to start when the weather gets wet and humid and you still need to have a lot of luck, because if the weather does not change soon, it is hard to keep the diseases away for long.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It had been awhile since I posted the baking soda solution recipe, so here it is again:

baking soda solution (a tablespoon of baking soda, 2 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, a teaspoon of liquid soap, not detergent, to one gallon of water),

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Plants probably have some, bad, evil infection.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”