Grovmel
Newly Registered

Growing roots in water

Is it possible or a good idea to cut sticks from currant trees and growing the roots in water before planting outside?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Well, waiting for whole roots to develop in water is not possible, at least I think it's not, but letting it sit on water for a bit and then planting it in soil is a good idea.

Now keep mind that although it is super easy to start roots growing on current branches, using root stimulator is strongly recommended.

Grovmel
Newly Registered

AnnaIkona wrote:Well, waiting for whole roots to develop in water is not possible, at least I think it's not, but letting it sit on water for a bit and then planting it in soil is a good idea.

Now keep mind that although it is super easy to start roots growing on current branches, using root stimulator is strongly recommended.
Well thanx for replying. Should I just dig wholes and put them down or should I place them in a more controlled environment first? Like in pots or something.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I guess in containers would be better because if you were to want to move the plant, you won't have to dig it out and potentially ruining the new root growth.

Also, planting in the ground, the soil may be not soft enough for them.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Though I can't speak from experience about currant, many others are propagated from woody stems. And here is one of many links telling how to do it.
https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitart ... ttings.php

Some plants, when a soft stemmed cutting is stuck in water, do not root - they just wilt and die, while many root very easily. I've tried this with citrus, and never got a root on one, but if I let the stem grow for about a month, and harden, but not totally woody, I've gotten roots in a few, hydroponically. Maybe something like this would work, though it's not the usual way of doing it.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'd try layering.

applestar
Mod

Yes, I agree with !potatoes! if this is a plant you have access to.

Especially since depending on where you are, early summer is a good time to get many shrubby propagating by ground layering -- pull down a semi flexible branch/shoot that is long enough to bend and snap/crack then bury the crack in the soil next to the mother plant. Then put a rock or a brick on top to keep the branch down, keep it cool and moist and mark the spot. Keep the soil around the buried branch watered if there is an extended drought.

I do this with some of my blueberries every year to increase the number of bushes in the patch.... and native azaleas occasionally just because they grow long branches that are perfect for layering. The branch should have rooted by next spring and can be cut off from the mother plant, but I just leave them until I'm ready to plant them in a different spot.

This year, I'm planning to ground layer some of my mom's lilacs if there are no suitable offshoot for dividing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Layering is a good idea. If you are going to do a cutting, what works for me is wrap it in wet paper towels, just for a day or so to get it hydrated. Dip it in rooting hormone powder, then plant it in a container in potting soil. Then cover it with a dome-- cutting the bottom off a two liter soda bottle or a half gallon milk jug works fine to make a dome. That keeps humidity in. Since it doesn't have roots yet to take up water, you don't want it to lose water from the leaves or stem. Keep it where it isn't getting direct sun, covered with the dome, keep the soil damp (but not soggy) and wait for maybe a couple months. When it is putting out new growth, you can take the dome off.

Many things will produce roots in water, but those are water roots, which are different from soil roots. Then it is still difficult to transplant it into soil. Not impossible, I have done it, but not easy.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”