Grovmel
Newly Registered

Poor soil and horse manure

Hello:) I bought and planted about 20 berry bushes mostly redcurrants. I bought soil from the local farm shop and the dude behind the counter said it was good for planting bushes. I'm to much of a noob, so I did not read on the package before after I have planted:p It contained 70% peat marsh (not very friendly to the invironment neighter) So in other words, its very poor soil. We have plenty of old horse manure on one of our fields. So I mashed it in water and spread that under the bushes and put lots off it around the bushes. To morrow I will go to a friend and get chicken manure also.

But will that do anything good? I don't have time to get all the plants up and mixe the soil again:S The soil is mixed with normal soil from the ground though. Does anyone know if something else can be added?

Grovmel
Newly Registered

Marlingardener wrote:Make sure the chicken manure you are getting is composted (at least 6 months old, dry, and crumbly). Chicken manure is so high in nitrogen that it can burn plants if used fresh.
If you are talking about peat moss, it is acidic. I don't know about red currants, do they need acidic soil?
I'm sure you'll get more help here--we all make mistakes and have to compensate, so don't worry too much.
Thanx for the reply:) Yes, I know that old manure is what to use. I believe the ideal for red currants is a ph about 6 or something. I do believe lime( if thats the name in English:p) was added to the soil.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”