drainey0

Got fertilizer on my leaves

So I just got fertilizer on my leafs. I took a cup of dr earth organic fertilizer and mixed it in with water and watered my plants with the mixture as I was poring some of the solids cam out and got on my leave of my seedling. Should I be worried about the nitrogen of this fertilizer burning my plant leaves? Link to the fertilizer I used is below

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... -205827663

imafan26
Mod

If you rinse it off the leaf it should be fine.

If you want to dissolve fertilizer better, mix the solid fertilizer with a little hot water and stir until it is totally dissolved. Add cold water to fill. If you are using a watering can a stocking over the rose will filter some of the larger particles out.

applestar
Mod

Very generally speaking, solids in organic fertilizers won't burn the leaves BUT what they tend to do is attract and encourage mold and yeast to grow on them and depending on the kinds that happen to land on them, could go on to infect the foliage.

Also, it IS possible that since the tomato's fuzzy collects moisture, the concentrated liquid dissolved from the solids could be too much for the foliage and "burn". Another thing is that those solids block the sun.

So it IS generally best to rinse them off or depending on the size of the plant, just allow to dry,mother shake/brush off.

NOW, going back to what you said, HOW MUCH water did you mix the 1 cup of fertilizer with? Did you follow the package instructions? I use rain water or de-chlorinated water and sometimes strain the fertilizer "tea", then dilute -- very weak -- and spray just the liquid in fine mist as folder fertilizer and phytosphere bio-diversification and anti-fungal preventive just like compost tea. I often put in my AACT set up and aerate the fertilizer tea.

drainey0

It was more like half a cup and I added declorinated water to the mix about gallon worth and I'll continue adding more water to the bottle its in till all the solids come out........ Looking back at it now I probably should have diluted with more water so lesson learned there. Being that it was a lesson learned should I be worried about how strong the mixture is? Put the mixture on this morning should I go home tonight and put normal clean water with nothin added to it to try and flush out what I put in?

applestar
Mod

I don't believe that will be necessary UNLESS these are tiny seedlings with only seed leaves.

...mmm... Or I guess maybe if they are in tiny containers or cells of flats? In this case, it's not that the organic fertilizer would burn the plants so much as the small amount of soil in tiny cells or containers won't be able to support the amount of microbes, resulting in die off and stinky mess, which THEN could affect the plants.

Mr green
Green Thumb

If you suspect that you added to much just water when the plants need with plain water, its not as easy to overdo organic fertilizer as it is with synthetic ones tho. I would'nt worry to much.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”