Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Growing corn for fall harvest?

I don't usually grow corn, but my 5 year old is showing interest in the garden and has asked to plant some corn. As of right now, I don't really have a spot for it, but I will in just another month or 2. By July, my bush beans should be nearing their end of production, and I will be mowing them down.

Late July seems like a really rough time to be planting corn for it to do well. We usually don't get frosts until October.... Might be time enough for it to mature.... I just worry about pollination and kernel in that high heat.

Corn is her favorite thing to eat. I'd really like for this to work out!

ETA: Sweet corn for eating boiled on the cob.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Seems a little late to plant corn to me, just mho! Theoretically, choosing the earliest maturing variety you can, you might have enough time. But, one thing I've noticed is that the days start getting shorter at that time of year so things don't grow as fast. But, find a variety that matures early and see what happens!

I remembered that some on the forum have started corn in pots then transplanted them out. You could do this I guess when the space becomes available. I haven't done this; I just plant in the ground. It might give them a head start, but don't know if it would be nullified by transplant shock or not. :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a zone 7 veggie planting guide that suggests you can plant corn through July:

https://veggieharvest.com/calendars/zone-7.html

this one, which can be set for what ever zone you are in, says the same:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/plan ... g-schedule

I have planted two small (4x4) blocks of corn so far about a month apart and definitely planning one more. After that, it will depend on available space.

imafan26
Mod

It looks like you can plant until the end of May but the OP is correct corn likes long warm days as the days get shorter and colder the take longer to mature. Most corn takes 75-80 days to mature. There are some early ones like sunglow that mature almost twenty days earlier.

Corn is not that eary to transplant and it grows very fast so it is usually direct seeded.

Mr green
Green Thumb

You could try grow a few in a big pot if you have room for that.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We suck at pot growing........ :hehe:

Don't they have super long tap roots? I can't imagine they'd be happy in containers.

There are 2-ish feet at one end of my garden growing spring greens and radishes. Could prolly get 2 rows in there now, if not super soon. That would shade my beans during the hot afternoons. Might even prolong my harvest!

Was thinking of poking them in between

Mr green
Green Thumb

Heres a guy that shows that it very well can be done:

They will likely need more attention than in the ground however, dries out quicker in pots.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's a great concept, but we are not putting the funds into that. I'd hate to spend all that money just to forget to water them... (I'm so lazy and irresponsible when it comes to watering pots. I really am ashamed of myself.)

I think we will just invest in some space (once it's available) and $6 worth of seeds and see how it goes.

Suggestions for short sow to harvest time varieties of Sweet corn?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:-() I placed a seed order with SSE today!!!

We chose Golden Bantam! It's a short season heirloom variety that was introduced in 1902. Seed to harvest is estimated at 70 to 80 days. We may pregerminate....

It's supposed to have a "rich, robust, corny flavor" that "might take adjusting too... I hope that doesn't mean super starchy! Corn is her favorite. She'd prolly eat dent corn if it was tender enough!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bantam produces a shorter stalk & shorter ear. When you have a date certain your will have space in your garden use your bean-sprouter and start corn ten days before plant out.

FYI sprouted corn is quite fragile, be gentle at plant out.

Corn is temperature sensitive (more than it is light sensitive). Water liberally. You are starting with the engine racing.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

tomc wrote:Bantam produces a shorter stalk & shorter ear. When you have a date certain your will have space in your garden use your bean-sprouter and start corn ten days before plant out.

FYI sprouted corn is quite fragile, be gentle at plant out.

Corn is temperature sensitive (more than it is light sensitive). Water liberally. You are starting with the engine racing.
Thanks! I've never started corn this late even. We will likely start it next weekend. I thought Bantam had shorter ears as well, but the description at seed savers said they were regular sized. This was the shortest seed to harvest date available. I planned to pre-germ them, but I may just let her poke them down. She's almost 5....delicate isn't really part of her game... I'm $6 bucks in at this point. Mainly we are just doing it for her enjoyment!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Lindsay: how's the corn coming? :-()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

it still isn't HERE! Slo moes...I had intended for half of it to be currently soaking, that and the other half should be going in the ground on Saturday or Sunday. IF IT EVER GETS HERE!

:roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just made my third planting of corn. I am out of room for now. If some gets freed up later (or I get another section of my circle garden built! :) ), I will still try another planting.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It came today!!!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking of interplanting my corn with peanuts! Anyone ever done that?
Anyone growing peanuts at all?

Was perusing (lurking) Google Search and actually found a few varieties tooting earlier dates than Golden Bantum! One of which called Yukon Chief, only grows 3-4 feet high, and makes 4-5 inch cobs. Perfect little girl corn!!! May try it next year. It boasts seed to harvest time at 55 days!!!! And the reviewers seem to back up the claims!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

As Imafan mentioned earlier in this thread, early sunglow is another early variety of about 55 days. I noticed at the big box stores here, that both early sunglow and golden bantam are on the seed shelves. Pretty cheap and easy to come by. You don't have to wait for a mail order.

I haven't grown peanuts. My mom used to a long time ago. I think they take a long time.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I just made my third planting of corn. I am out of room for now. If some gets freed up later (or I get another section of my circle garden built! :) ), I will still try another planting.

That's amazing! I only just planted my first a week ago. It goes to show all zone 7's are so not created equal! I think my last average frost is May 5 or 7. Do you know what yours is there in your new location?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Corn was here same day, I posted about waiting. There were some other seeds I ordered with the corn, that I unfortunately couldn't get via big box.

Sunglow is a hybrid. While I'm not completely opposed to it, I was hopping to grow an heirloom variety. Golden bantam is an heirloom! So is Yukon Chief, which I may try to start in......AUGUST!!!! Or I may just not waste my $6....IDK. It's perfect kid sized corn. She would be thrilled.

I did a little research on the peanuts, and the corn/peanut combination *is* a common occurrence with larger operation organic corn growers. It was said to both stabilize the stalk's root system, and fix nitrogen.

I'm just wondering now, if the big bags of raw peanuts in the shell at the grocery store have been treated to prevent germination... At $1.00 a bag, I may buy them, shell them, and try them anyway! $1 green mulch!!! Yaaaaaaas! Talked to my mom today, and she said my grandparents would grow peanuts as a cover crop (in this very garden!) in the late summer and fall. She said my Nanny would get into her about eating them raw, because they might would give her a bellyache! I don't remember them growing anything here in the fall except turnips....gross and worthless IMHO...

I am still slightly worried about pollination because the heat tends to get a little intense here by the time these will be silking.

We tilled and raked our little spot tonight after the kids went to bed. 200 seedlings are ready to be poked in the earth by a 4 year old tomorrow. The crows heard us talking about it, and they're waiting!!!

It's gonna be a fun project! And definitely worth the time spent with Big Kid. I love how excited she is about this CORN!

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Oh yes, I forgot, SSE doesn't sell hybrids I don't think.

Here it would be the ravens and the gambel quail, which is why I put screens down til the plants get bigger. Funny, I've never had anything come in and eat the corn off the mature ears. (not yet, shouldn't have said that of course!)

Maybe some raw peanuts untreated from the health store would sprout. When I buy grains to plant for cover crops, that's where I get 'em.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: I think my last average frost is May 5 or 7. Do you know what yours is there in your new location?

Indeed not all zone 7 is equal. It only tells you how cold it gets in the depth of winter. Your elevation makes a big difference. My average last frost here (7b) is around April 1! My average last frost in Cincinnati, zone 6a before I moved was around April 15.

But even last frost doesn't tell the whole story. In Cincinnati, frost might be past, but the weather would still be quite chilly, with lows dipping back down in the thirties unexpectedly for a good while, before the weather finally stabilized. Here we didn't seem to go through nearly as much of that.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Yes, elevation governs everything out here. It has still been frosting lightly in some spots, even though the thermometer may read in the upper 30's! When the forecast calls for a low of anything around 40, I start to get worried. It depends so much on where you are even within the same zip code around here.

imafan26
Mod

I have grown bantam corn It is an heirloom but it is not a very sweet corn. It depends on what you are using it for.
I prefer the super sweet corn with longer ears like Silver Queen, and I grow a local variety of corn because it is maize mosaic virus resistant that is bred by the UH that is sweet and can be grown year round here. Both are also tight husk varieties.

Although, it may be too late to order from the catalogs. Consider ordering from them in the future. You will have a lot more choices than what you can get off the shelf. Most of the seeds I ordered were shipped the next day when I ordered on line. When I mailed in my order it took about 2-3 weeks. Do not buy more corn seed than you can use, they do not have a long shelf life so needs to be used by the expiration date or germination drops precipitously. Keep the seeds in the freezer and they will keep a little longer.

If you are concerned about GMO seeds, don't be. No catalog company that sells seeds to the public sells GMO seeds without telling you what you are buying. GMO seeds are usually only sold to farmers that need to sign an agreement not to propagate the plants. The seeds in a catalog for home gardeners generally do not have GMO seeds. More varieties of organic seeds will also be available and by definition cannot be GMO.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I put an order online through seed saver's exchange. I'm not really sure what the holdup was....

Annnnnnyway! We just finished planting! Big Kid was perfect! Went to big box to get pool chemicals with my mom and found 2 hybrids. Silver and Gold (63 days), aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... Sunglow! We only had enough of the Heirloom for half the allotted space. We have 9 rows X around 45'. I think she'll get at least a few ears! Maybe it'll be as sweet and eager as she is!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Wow, 9 rows of 45' each? How cool is that! Here is wishing you and your DDs the best, sweetest, quickest petite corn. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Raw peanuts can be planted but you are better off buying peanuts that are grown for planting. Peanuts are a long crop 100-130 days. Longer than the corn will be up. I don't know about interplanting because corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder. Legumes cover crops need to be infected with the mycorrhizzae bacteria to form nitrogen fixing nodules and the nitrogen is not available until the
cover crop is tilled in and it decomposes. Cowpeas, vetch, and clover are the most common cover crops for nitrogen fixing. Beans are most commonly double cropped with corn. The beans use the corn stalks as poles.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

If there's one thing I grow without problem it's clover. I don't think mycorrhizal bacteria are lacking here. I've grown plenty of legumes over the years as well. There were plenty of peanuts, and crowder peas grown here for generations. This garden spot has been in use for almost 70 years!

There's definitely enough time to grow and harvest them, here. We usually don't get a frost here until mid October. I was worried about the HEAT killing the pollen from the tassels before the silks could be pollinated. The main reason I was worried about planting late in the season.

Peanuts! They're a pretty neat plant to grow! I do think I'll try it! I won't invest much in the project. No certified fancy pants seed. Going the el cheapo route!!!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

If you are concerned about GMO seeds, don't be. No catalog company that sells seeds to the public sells GMO seeds without telling you what you are buying. GMO seeds are usually only sold to farmers that need to sign an agreement not to propagate the plants. The seeds in a catalog for home gardeners generally do not have GMO seeds. More varieties of organic seeds will also be available and by definition cannot be GMO.
Ultimately, I am always trying to avoid GMO's, but I tend to lean towards heirlooms because of flavors, biodiversity, and the stories behind them. I try to teach my daughter about the plants' histories. I do grow some hybrids, like Sungold tomatoes, for flavor, so I'm not opposed. I do like to stay on the side of heirlooms though.

Lynn Coulter sums it up best for me...
Heirloom seeds aren’t just about gardening. Throughout the centuries they have been intricately linked with medicine, love, romance, exploration, discovery, and poisons. They have been part of history, science, cooking, literature, fairy tales, genetics, and wildlife. They are wrapped up in farming, travel, state fairs, archeology, philosophy, and so much more. When you plant heirloom seeds remember where they’ve been. Keep them going.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn is a large plant. It needs room to grow. If planted too close it will have no ears on it. If planted too sparse, the ears will not get pollinated right and the kernels will be spotty on the cob. I always say plant a corn patch. Three rows 12 feet or more long spaced 30 inches with plants 8 to 12 inches apart in the rows works. You can expand on this for as much corn as you may want, but this is a recommended planting style.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn needs nitrogen for sure. You will have to decide if you will use fertilizer from a bag, but for me a bag of ammonium nitrate spread on the corn patch the day of planting is how I fertilize it.

I always buy my corn seed. I like a variety called "Ambrosia". I make a planting, then when that first is three inches tall make a second planting, then when that second is three inches tall make a third planting. This spreads out the harvest. Here at this high elevation area a fourth planting will never make it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

About corn with beans. The way to do that is plant 3 rows of corn, then move over and plant 3 rows of beans. Please none of this beans climbing the corn nonsense!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hey Jim!

I tried that once! It was a hot dang mess!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Get it planted. I am going to plant another few rows tomorrow. With a little luck it will be ready about September 1. I like Ambrosia.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Planted! 3 large blocks. 9, 40' rows!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”