imafan26
Mod

Re: I made a rookie mistake with manure! SOS!

What an adventure.

Another reason to add to why I don't like to use animal by products in the garden.

BTW persistent herbicides will also still be active when composted. More reason to make your own.

Mr green
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:What an adventure.

Another reason to add to why I don't like to use animal by products in the garden.

BTW persistent herbicides will also still be active when composted. More reason to make your own.
Or atleast knowing the source its coming from. I don't like animal products either tho.

PinkPetalPolygon

:-()

Everything looks so great I can't even believe we had problems! Isn't that wonderful?

(My phone is clogged with pictures already so I can't take any more. I will take pictures soon. I meant to yesterday but I had dirty hands all day and didn't wanna touch my tablet to take pictures. Bad excuse! I coulda washed my hands and used the voice feature. But I was lazy. :lol: )

I just felt like I kind of HAD to make an update with text to saaaaay:

Everything looks perfect now. 8)

The plants with the herbicide/whatever/frizzy damage that I kept are actually growing normally now! :shock:

Maybe even more than normally and wonderfully! We have one tomato plant that is a Brandywine & it is HUGE now, it looks like it never had any problems! The armenian cucumbers I may have never mentioned in this thread but that totally existed and also had herbicide/whatever damage from the manure recovered! It had slightly scrunched up leaves at first but now it is vining normally.

And let me tell you! (Knock on wood)

I actually don't think we have blight/bacterial problems at all terribly anywhere. (I understand that that situation is almost like a ticking time bomb err like I still need preventative care/luck/the goodwill of the fairies, l have a lot of disease resistant plants this year BUT)

The part where I thought the natural yellow tomato sap was blight instead of normal tomato functioning gave me a certain ... uhhh... preparing to ... have super yucky stuff feeling? If you know what I mean?

And now I have literally realized we DIDN'T have catastrophic problems that could only build up in the soil in the other garden/MIL's garden (hah) -

Basically I have blight in my garden and I have since I got it apparently? (I try incredibly hard not to cross-contaminate and try to make good garden hygiene decisions generally)

But there isn't blight at the other garden though! At least not in the way I was certain there was. Yeah. I go over there and everything is awesome. Nothing is failing to thrive! The bottom leaves are the deepest green possible.

I definitely, unfortunately, know the difference between blight and no blight now. :evil:

I need to start forcing DH to not wear the shoes he wears in our garden in the other garden for the love of everything anything. :shock:

I don't care if changing your shoes is a hassle, apocalyptic blight is much worse a hassle than switching tennies!

We are already hand washers in the garden though! We try to be even more serious than doctors with the handwashing (no offense to doctors! Thanks for saving me, hah) - after we touch any plant we wash our hands before touching the next.

Sorry if that's "wasting water". Err. Now I should do something water conservation-y to repent. O:)

No, um, I digress, but I am actually very careful with water. Or. I've seen some ridiculousness and I don't know, I really do think running water is an amazing "gift" and try not to abuse it like water grows on trees.

But yeah. When there's blight on my hands I gotta wash it off.

In other news, I am glad, even though they didn't wash their hands first:

Yesterday I watched a big huge chubby bumblebee buzz literally every tomato flower I owned in my garden. :mrgreen:

It was funny, we were bbqing/lighting the bbq, but when DH saw the bumblebee start buzzing tomato flowers we stopped to let him eat first. ^_^

I loooooved watching the order in which he buzzed the flowers, like, !!! Seeing what he could be pollinating up in terms of tomato varieties!

I think I gained new respect for any two tomatoes ever being able to click to crossbreed in the first place after seeing all that crazy willy nilly pollen exchanging going on! :shock:

I wanna see what crossed with my lemon boy... lemon boy tomatoes are my favorite, but I digress further. :P

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Awww, you "stopped to let him eat first"! PPP: with your enthusiasm and willingness to work, you deserve every bit of the beautiful, thriving garden it appears that you now have!

I should practice better hygiene in my garden the way you do - there's always something to work on improving, eh? Anyway, what I AM good about is watering. I have a double sink and when I rinse dishes, I use a plastic tub to catch the water (unless its soapy) and then recycle it in the garden. I figure it takes about 4 - 5 tubs to adequately water my garden, and I probably fill that many in a day, just by rinsing my hands, replacing the dog's water dish, rinsing fruit and vegies, and washing food particles off dirty pots, pans and dishes (before I soap them up). I pat myself on my back every day! :-()

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”