Arg123
Newly Registered

Blackberry plant unknown age... need help

Hi everyone! Yesterday I bought a new plant of blackberry (thornless) and today I transplanted it in a slightly bigger pot. I don't know the age of the plant though. I guess it can be 1 year but I'm not sure (its around 30cm tall and it has two thin steams). Can anybody tell from the picture? I would like to know also if it will bear fruits this summer (the sun hits on it every morning for around 5 hours and I live close to Venice, Italy). Thanks in advance!!!
Attachments
20160318_140757.jpg

Mr green
Green Thumb

Probably not that old, I would say a year cutting tops, you may get a few fruits if your lucky but I wouldnt hope to much for it.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

It's rare to get fruit off a newly transplanted anything. You don't want it to fruit anyway. The plant needs to work on growing roots, not making fruit.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

You would do well to get another two or three plants if you are planting outside in the soil. If in pots they (it) will not do as well. As stated, it is rare to get fruit the first year; also the second and I would remove the fruit in the first and second year of growth. Then by the third year you should do well. Since I have never grown berries in pots I could not indicate how to grow or what to expect. All my thornless blackberries are in the ground.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Looks like it's about 1 year old? And I don't think it will grow any fruit this summer as it had just been transplanted and looks a bit too short and small to produce fruit yet.

However I am sure it will get you lots of fruit next summer :()

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”