AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

How Long Are Tomato Seeds Good For?

Hey guys! :)

I had saved some tomato seeds in October simply by drying them on a paper towel and then packaging them in folded printer paper.

Anyone know if they are still good to be planted?

Thanks folks! :()

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I keep my tomato seeds for years, 5 years and longer. They always give good germination. Mine are kept in the freezer, but as long as the seeds are kept dry should last at least 2-3 years outside of the freezer.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I agree. I keep my seeds in the refrigerator and I've had successful germination rates after years in cold storage.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Really?! That's cool- I've never heard that tomato seeds could be kept in the fridge or freezer. I'll give it a try!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I agree with what everyone has said too! But, when I'm planting seeds that are getting up there in age, I'll plant a few extra in each starting cell just to be sure. Then, I just thin the plants buy clipping off the unwanted ones with scissors at ground level.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I use the fermentation method, dry the seeds completely and store them in film canisters or prescription pill containers and store the seed containers in a cool dry location...my basement. The oldest seeds I have germinated have been ten year old seeds of my own and some 15 year old seeds another person sent me to try and "wake up". Germination % decreases with age but not until older than 5-8 years.

I would suggest not freezing seeds since if there is any moisture in the seed it may crystalize and lose viability. But then lots of seeds germinate after laying in my garden all freezing winter long so who really knows.

imafan26
Mod

Some seeds can last a long time if they are stored properly.

theforgottenone1013

I've got some tomato seeds that are at least a decade old (no telling how old they were when I acquired them) and keep them at room temp. They still sprout, although their germination rate and vigor are on the decline.

-Rodney

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, most seeds last a few years at least, some longer than others. With cool, dry, dark storage they can last a long time. In the Middle East where conditions are very dry, seeds have been known to sprout after 1000's of years:

A sapling germinated earlier this year from a 2,000-year-old date palm seed is thriving, according to Israeli researchers who are cultivating the historic plant. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... seed-food/

Tomato seeds for me generally last 3-5 years. By the fifth year the germination rate is declining. That just means you have to plant extra seeds. Any seed that does sprout produces plants that are just as vigorous and healthy as any other. A few years ago a friend gave me a bunch of seeds that she had stored from 1980 or so. I have no idea what conditions they were stored in. I diligently planted them all and not a single one sprouted.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

While I will sermonize that forest seeds should never be dried, tomato seed does best by being thoroughly dried. A cool dry space away from an exterior wall (like your sock drawer) will work best for annual storage.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I have used more than 5 year old tomato seeds with quite good success, and I just have them in a drawer.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”