texkev
Newly Registered

Soil Based Sprouts - Newb

Hello
New here from north Texas area.

We just moved to where we have some land. Looking to grow some nutrient dense foods. With Winter here, thought it may be a good time to start with some sprouting using soil. I have a couple of growing boxes, untreated cedar to start.

However, not sure where to start. Eventually I will do some raised bed gardens and grow the garden as I can.

With the sprouts, not sure where to grow them. I cannot inside the home. I assume I need a greenhouse. Does it need a heater? I have never grown in a greenhouse. This part of Texas can get cold, so will a good greenhouse keep my sprouts warm enough during the colder winter days? Or is this just not the growing season for sprouts either? Want to do some herbs as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have sown seed in my unheated greenhouse in October for Asian greens like bok choy for harvest in February and March. They are plenty big enough for stir-fries by then.

A low tunnel of plastic film over pvc hoops was used inside for added protection.

In early February, I will sow onion seed for later outdoor transplanting. I may need to cover the flats several times so the soil and roots don't freeze. The greenhouse heater will be turned on in mid-March but those flats of onions won't be enjoying the indoor heat for very many days. They will go outdoors for hardening off for garden transplanting in April.

I know it can be cold in Tyler and probably a lot colder, elsewhere. We have had mild winters lately but still, some subzero weather. Not so far in 2015, just a little cold and plenty of wind some days.

Steve

applestar
Mod

It depends on the sprouts. You could probably grow cool temp germinating sprouts like peas and radish, perhaps wheat greens and sunflowers/sunnys (hulless is easier). Broccoli. Onions and leeks, too but they take longer -- it's easier to start with fast germinating seeds.

Another one to try are corn though they need a bit warmer temp -- they are said to be sweet -- I'm going to be trying them this winter.

Beans need even warmer temps to germinate and sprout, but still need cooler temp to keep from spoiling easily. I only grow routs during cooler weather -- you need to rinse more often and worry more about spoilage/bacteria. Garbanzo beans are supposed to germinate at somewhat cooler temps.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have to ask...are you starting seeds for plants to put out in spring? If so, a bit early. Or, sprouts as in alfalfa and beans to be used as sprout in your salads and stir fry?

texkev
Newly Registered

Hey all
thanks for the replies everyone

The sprouts are yes to eat. Yes it is too early to start anything else. I will not start planning the garden until late January due to time issues. There I will do raised bed, cedar to wrap them, etc.

I just was no t sure if my greenhouse need an external source of heat or not. Seems like it would for the cloudy super cold days. I would like to start now doing the edible sprouts but not sure how prepared I need to be for winter.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for that answer. Now, K-I-S-S (keep it simple...). All you need for sprouts are a couple of wide mouth qt canning jars, screw on strainer tops made for them, and the seeds. If you have a whole foods, fresh market or other 'healthy' grocery store, they may be sold in the aisle with the seeds. Keep the jars in the kitchen, near sink so you can watch, and remember to rinse 1/day.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”