Asica

Getting rid of grass

I live in zone 9. Our state is in drought so to help out I let my grass die. There are still little parts that the grass is green the rest it is dirt. I amplanning on putting a lot of keyhole gardens in its place and the rest covering with wood-chips. This is where I have a question. Would it work if I just put the wood-chips on top of that drying grass? And if so, how many inches should I put of wood-chips?
TIA

applestar
Mod

It would be better to cover with flattened corrugated cardboard first. This helps to smother anything that is growing there, including grass and weeds. For the keyhole garden areas, start by using gardening fork to make holes and fracture the ground -- I stand on it, step off, and then tilt (not dig or lift up) -- then put down a layer of compost or composted manure and any other amendments you need for your soil (like lime). Material you Put down in this layer under the cardboar can be weedy or suspected of containing weeds seeds. Water well, then cover with the cardboard and soak the cardboard. Build your keyhole gardens on top of that.

For the wood chip area, with the cardboard down, you only need enough to hide the cardboard initially, but the cardboard will break down eventually so you will need more and this can be added later or you can put down several inches from the start. If it's going to be a very large area and not just paths, you may want to lime the area first if you have acid soil since the wood chips and subsequent fungal colonization will contribute to acidifying the soil.

Asica

Thank you for the great reply and explanation.

imafan26
Mod

If your grass is in the front yard, make sure you are allowed to do it. Some places will not allow front yard vegetable gardens. To plant vegetables in the front yard, it needs to be worked into the landscaping and it helps if you use more unusual veggies and interplant with flowers and ornamentals.

My HOA does not allow front yard vegetables or fruit trees so I planted roses, chives, daylilies, lavender, marigolds, calendula, mint and geraniums by blending them into the landscaping. Most people don't realize they are edible. I have grown okra and mammoth sunflower in summer too. I can probably get away with roselle, pandan, fennel, and lalot since they are not common plants.

Asica

The vegetable garden is going to be in a backyard.
In the front I am putting native flowers and succulents. That is my next project.

Asica

Btw when you put cardboard boxes and the wood chips, is it easy to walk and run on it. I have children so they will play there a lot. I do not want any of them tripping.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”