AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Dog for farm?

Hey there! :D

I own a pretty big farm, with all types of animals. I really want a dog for companion ship and was wondering if dogs surve any purpose around a farm?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well of course along with being wonderful companions, most dogs are good watch dogs, barking to alert you when strangers have come on the property. Other than that, it depends on your needs and the energy you are willing to invest in training your dog.

If you have sheep, goats, etc., some dogs can be good herders. Most dogs can serve to help keep predators away if they stay with the flock, even if they don't herd. Dogs can be used to pull small carts or to deliver things like mail, if they wear a little pack. If you hunt, dogs have traditionally been used in hunting, for tracking, hunting, retrieving, etc.

Here's some video to show you the range of things dogs can be trained to do (and because they are great fun to watch! :D )

webmaster
Site Admin

Farms are great places for dogs, particularly the working dog breeds. Do not adopt a dog because of how it looks. Definitely research the temperaments of the different breeds. Even a mixed breed dog will pick up one or more of the temperament characteristics of it's parents. Sometime you can luck out and it'll have the best of both and none of the worst.

Warning about breeds
Most books and websites gloss over the negatives in each breed. The AKC books demand to be read between the lines, like when a real estate agent calls a broken down house a "charming" fixer upper. I find most books about dog breeds to be useful in terms of learning about the positives and general characteristics. Be suspicious if they do not list the negatives. I just looked around and found a site that seems little more honest about breeds. https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/

Breeds were generally bred for tasks. Terriers are generally ratters. They like to hunt small mammals and are equipped for that. Shepherds have a strong herding instinct. I don't know what Jack Russells were bred for, maybe for their high strung character that blows it's top and barks at everything that moves, LOL. Research the breeds until you identify one or a mixture that has the characteristics of the ideal dog for you.

We lucked out. We adopted a pug/terrier mix that has the best of both breeds. He looks like a miniature boxer and though he's been compared to a puggle, imo he has a cuter look, wi

Some breeds need lots of space for running. Others have a strong pack instinct and need to be close to their family at all times. Other dogs are more independent but afaik, all dogs need to be a part of a pack, which means they need company.

I feel sorry for families who shove their dogs out to the yard to spend extended periods by themselves. Dogs need company and make loyal and faithful companions. If you need a pet friend that is undemanding and requires minimal care then consider a cat. If you have time to nurture a pet friend who in turn will be a loyal companion then a dog is for you.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Yes, dogs serve useful and valuable purposes around the farm, especially if you have or plan to have animals. You'll likely want to look at breeds that fall under the "working dog" category. Think about what you want the dog to do and then pick a breed carefully. I say carefully, because as fun as it is to train your dog to do tricks, picking a dog of a breed that already has the inherent tendencies for the job you want him to do is a big plus. If you pick a herding dog, training him to herd goats, sheep, cows, or even chickens (yes, some dogs herd chickens) goes a lot smoother than trying to train a dog of a breed that has no natural herding tendencies. If you pick a breed that has natural guard/protection instincts, be careful as many of those breeds have small-animal predation tendencies, so while you'll keep interlopers off the property, you'll have to train him not to chase and eat the chickens.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

We got our dog for the farm because we would have about 150 deer that thought our yard was their home. They would destroy our plants and trees. A dog keeps them out. He also lets me know if I have unwanted intruders or predators.

imafan26
Mod

Like everyone said, think about what you want the dog for and take your time to research the breeds and even if you want a particular breed, do not discount the pound or rescue dogs. Most dogs are not bad dogs, they had bad owners who could not meet their needs. There will be individual differences in all dogs no matter what breed they are. Some dogs will be dominant and some will be omegas and some will be Betas. If you want a dog you need to be willing to put the time in to train them or have hire a trainer to train you and the dog. Dogs are pack animals and don't like to be alone and they do like to be given a job or be entertained. If the dog does not get enough exercise or attention they get into trouble. People think if they have a big yard it is enough, but wolves and wild dogs cover miles of territory and like to go exploring. They don't like to stay home with nothing to to do or they get bored. Runners don't like to walk you need to be able to jog, run or walk them with a bike or on skates to go fast enough for them. Training needs to be consistent and reinforced regularly. Beta dogs will challenge your position regularly and you have to maintain your place in the pecking order. Giving a dog a lot of attention, regular exercise (usually it is nice to change the scenery. I used to take my dog for a ride and go to the park or walk a different neighborhood so it would be more interesting for him.) I put him through his repertoire of tricks and he had to earn his treats. He got so that when he saw the bag, he would sit in front of me before I would ask him and he would start drooling while patiently waiting and eager to go through the paces to get his treat. He never did learn to roll over completely, he just rolled to the side and he was trained with voice and hand commands so he would follow hand commands without any verbal cues.

The dogs that the homeless have are usually the most well trained because they are with their owners constantly and they end up walking around a lot so they don't pull ahead.

Terriers are ratters, but it is not all instinct, some things they have to learn. Hunting breeds either are sight or scent dogs and have their own search pattern. Terriers like to dig holes, lots of holes. Herding breeds like to herd, they will herd other animals andchildren. Cats do not like to be herded and if there is a dog in the house, usually the cat is dominant.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

A hound will keep any animals off of the farm. My Bluetick / Lab mix patrols the yard and barks and chases at anything that moves. She could keep it up all day.

imafan26
Mod

Also remember to check the breed's health report. Some people think something is wrong with the dog when it is actually something that goes with the breed. Bulldogs fart, it has to do with the way they breathe. Tall dogs and larger dogs generally have a shorter lifespan than smaller breeds and more problems with their hips and potential problems with bloat if you are not careful. Some breeds are more prone to cancer. Some dogs really like the water others don't. Some can be couch potatoes. Small dogs often have small dog syndrome.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”