Artem
Newly Registered

Re: Fertilizing/Feeding Seedlings.

I don't fertilize seedlings, I think they don't very need fertilizing until they form several true leaves. But I know, that phosphorus fertilizers sometimes are used at this stage.

applestar
Mod

There's a reason for sowing seeds in straight lines or in set patterns. When they come up uniformly, looking the same, it's another way to distinguish the ones that don't look like them as weeds.

imafan26
Mod

Good tip apple. I actually don't sow seeds in trays or plugs. I make community pots so seeds are scattered and then potted up individually. It saves the most space for my needs since I can put the community pots where there is space on the bench. I only have room on my bench for 4 flats and I have to push things around to get that to fit sometimes. Labeling and dating is important. That, and being able to recognize what the seedlings should look like.

If the OP is using peat moss and lightens it with sand in 50/50 ratio it will help. Seedlings should not need extra fertilizer until they get true leaves although I like to add a slow release (osmocote) to my starter mix so I don't have to supplement with fertilizer. Osmocote won't burn unless a lot is used. I would use 1/4 strength miracle grow for seedlings after they have true leaves if I did not use osmocote. That would be 1/4 tablespoon in a gallon of water. I would only use it once a week while the seedlings are small. I would go to full strength only when the seedlings have a developed root system and are about 4 inches tall, and I would be getting ready to plant them out anyway.

Too much fertilizer or water when seedlings are small will lead to dampening off. Seedlings should not be stressed to the point of wilting, but you need to learn to use your finger or a chopstick or test the weight of the pot to know when it is time to water again. It is hard to say how often to water because it depends on the potting mix, and how fast it dries out.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”