AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Planting A Tree From Cuttings

Hi there!

My neighbor has a beautiful plum tree, and I was wondering if there's a way to grow a tree from the cutting of my neighbors tree? Has anyone tried it?

If you did please share! :)

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Annalkona
Yes it's quite easy to grow a plum from a cutting.
First the cutting must be taken while the tree is fully dormant. So some time in the winter months.
Take a 10-15 inch pencil thick shoot from the tree, dip in a hardwood rooting compound, plant in pot of peat and sand mix compost. It should root after e few months.
You have to remember though that this tree will be on its own roots....so you will have a greatly reduced protection from soil pathogens attack on your tree and the there is no telling how strongly or weakly your tree is going to grow. These are the reasons that most propagation of all Top Fruit is done by grafting or budding onto known root stocks.
Good luck.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you John! I'll try it! But do I grow it inside during the winter when it's cold outside, so that the tree is warm, or not?

JONA
Greener Thumb

No Annalkona.....plant the cutting in the early spring just before the trees start into growth...then you can leave it in some sheltered place where it will not be in too much direct sunshine where it could dry out.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Awesome! Thanks, I'll try it :)

neohistory
Newly Registered

I'm also looking to do this, but with a crab apple tree. I suppose this is a general rule for cuttings you wish to take off most species of trees?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

neohistory wrote:I'm also looking to do this, but with a crab apple tree. I suppose this is a general rule for cuttings you wish to take off most species of trees?
Imbedding a new thread in another, is a pretty good way to be missed. You might want to start this afresh.

I have never tried crab by cutting. They grow so easily for me by seed.

LsLawn
Newly Registered

JONA wrote:Hi Annalkona
Yes it's quite easy to grow a plum from a cutting.
First the cutting must be taken while the tree is fully dormant. So some time in the winter months.
Take a 10-15 inch pencil thick shoot from the tree, dip in a hardwood rooting compound, plant in pot of peat and sand mix compost. It should root after e few months.
You have to remember though that this tree will be on its own roots....so you will have a greatly reduced protection from soil pathogens attack on your tree and the there is no telling how strongly or weakly your tree is going to grow. These are the reasons that most propagation of all Top Fruit is done by grafting or budding onto known root stocks.
Good luck.
Awesome info Jona, thanks.

Murt
Newly Registered

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if its possible to plant an Ash Tree from cuttings? :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I doubt it. a manual of woody plant propagation I've got says, 'cuttings have proven virtually impossible to root, even from young trees' under the main 'Fraxinus' entry, then never mentions cuttings again for ash under the individual species entries.

evidently even doing root cuttings, which are a preferred method for some trees, wouldn't cut it.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I hate to be dense...:) but getting back to the plum tree cutting, if you take the cuttings in mid winter, then plant them in early spring, what do you do with the cuttings in the meantime, for 3 or 4 or 5 months. I would like to try some trees or shrubs this way myself.

So do you take the cutting and then immediately put it in the peat, sand, compost pot and keep it outside? Or do you take cuttings and then let them sit around someplace til spring?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I won't take my cuttings till after April 1st...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Willows, cottonwoods, and poplars freely root. Just take cuttings and place in a bucket of water for a while. I have not had much luck rooting fruit tree cuttings. Most fruit trees are propagated by grafting a bud onto a rootstock.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yup, same here. I remember I used to try planting root cuttings but never worked.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”