MockY

Tomato - Sucker Like Growth on Fruit Branch

I've never seen this behaviour from tomatoes before. On many of the fruit bearing branches, a sucker like continuous growth is appearing. If I don't remove it, a large branch will grow, with its own suckers and all. I've never before seen a continuation of fruit bearing branches and wonder if this is common. This year, I'm growing 6 different varieties and even though this is not appearing on all plants, it has so on at least one of each variety.

On the pictures, I've added an arrow to point out where a fruit bearing branch generally end, but in these cases, a new branch is growing.
2015-08-21 16.09.55.jpg
2015-08-21 16.09.43.jpg

applestar
Mod

Another member reported the same phenomenon earlier in July and I replied that I'm seeing the same thing this year but have seen it before in previous years too. So it's not entirely uncommon, though I have no explanation for the unusual growth pattern....

Subject: Sucker on the END/ TIP of a vine?
applestar wrote:Got the pics. Top left is the one I was thinking of -- Not Liguria with a leaf and possible sucker growing from fruit truss. But when I was taking this picture, I spotted Carbon Copy in the center row growing a sucker AND a second set of floral truss at end of a fruit truss :roll:

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I have some of those on my tomatoes this year too. I recently watched a you tube video on tomato pruning, and they mentioned those as a type of sucker. They said to just prune them off where the stem would end. I figure I've had plenty of those in the past, but never really noticed them until I saw the video.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Tomatoes are actually perennials that we grow as annuals. What you are seeing is new growth that in their native habitat would likely go on to grow and ripen fruit. That is not to say, their owners might not prune them. Depending on the type and variety, they might be pruned down by 1/3 to regrow again.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”