applestar
Mod

Re: Screw organic

...ummm -- just a bit :| ... You might find your answers in thIs thread :wink: Subject: Beneficial Insects

Here's how it starts out :arrow:
opabinia51 wrote:I guess the crux of organic gardening is the ever battle with insect herbivory in your garden. (Especially your vegetable Garden) Anyway, here is an excellent website that uses Apple Orchards as the example but, has information that can be applied to any garden:

https://www.earthworksboston.org/urbanor ... icials.htm <<broken link
applestar wrote:Here's a link to an archived copy of the old web page that Opa had linked to.

This is a REALLY cool site, opabinia.

imafan26
Mod

I you pick the right vegetables it is easier. Insects and disease attack unhealthy plants first because they are weaker. If you select plants and cultivars that are best for your location and you keep them healthy they do not make good targets. If you have a robust garden patrol, they can keep bugs from invading.

I have whiteflies, but they like the hibiscus the most, so I use it as a sentry and trap plant...that way they leave the peppers alone and I hose down the undersides of the pepper leaves every time I water.

I plant corn because it attracts purple lady bugs and they really like white flies. I also like corn even though it takes up a lot of space in my small garden.

Choosing the right combination of plants helps in controlling bugs too. A trap plant, a plant that attracts beneficial insects, and choosing the best cultivar that will stay healthier.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”