Line6
Newly Registered

Cucumber Beetles

Hi All, Happy Canada Day!

I'm new to this forum/board. This is our first year with our large veg garden after moving to the country last summer. Previously I had raised beds in town that were decidedly pest free!

So far the biggest problem I'm running in to out here is the cucumber beetle. It hit the few plants I got in last year and I tried everything from wood ashes (burned the plants) to soap spray (the beetles laughed and continued eating).

This year I naievely hoped they wouldn't come back as we had moved the garden site and tilled in manure and compost and worked it up really well, but of course that was wrong. They came back, with a vengeance. They hang out in the tree line waiting for the curcubids to go in the ground and then they descend.

This year I started hand picking and dropping them in a bucket of soap water. Moderate success here. I managed to buy the plants a bit of a breather and they did get to develop some hardier growth, but I'm not sure my cucumbers or zuchinni will amount to much. The spaghetti squash seems to be doing okay.

Any suggestions? I don't really have the time to spend the entire season hand picking. I have a recipe for an onion/garlic spray that I thought I might try. I've also planted marigolds throughout the entire garden (and right next to the cukes and zuchinni, but they don't seem to be effective against the beetles.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

The problem with them is that once they start doing damage they are hard to control. Insecticidal soap is only for thin skinned creatures not beetles. There is some research looking at using trap plants, but the jury is still out. Next year you can place the plants in the ground as soon as possible and cover them with row covers and leave it on until they start blooming. This is often very helpful. Entomopathogenic nematodes can be used to attach them at the larva stage. Tachinid flies and Braconid wasps will attack them reducing their population. The problem with either garlic spray or tomato leaf spray is that they also harm beneficial insects too, so it is a trade off. I wish the news was better.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I use DE in an old baby powder bottle for any beetles that are doing too much damage. Dust the leaves every few days on the plants they target. I'ts not real effective but it slows them down. Especially when beetles are hitting the new leaves just before blooming or vine tip.

Line6
Newly Registered

My worst fear! That news isn't good! But thank you for taking the time to reply.

I've already changed plans for next year and will be getting/making some row covers or maybe even a hoop house.

My sprays to date haven't done anything. I swear they even attracted more beetles, as now a couple of the spaghetti squashes have been rendered practically lifeless.

How disappointing. I have a copy of John Seymour's Self Sufficient Gardener and he recommends making nicotine spray out of old cigarette butts, but that sounds a little too disgusting for me to even attempt (notwithstanding I don't think I know any smokers!).

We can order large quantities of pickling cucumbers, but the squash will be a disappointment.

DonV
Cool Member

I am getting destroyed by them. They eating is not nearly as bad as the new bacterial wilt they spread to all my cucs. Ouch.

I want to be organic but one dusting with seven dust did far more then all the hand picking, traps, organic controls, soap etc - and daily effort.

I live near woods and nearby friend in town have no issues, also I never had an issue with them before - apparently they found my garden.

UrbanFarmerJon

I too had the same problem this year. First time I've had them ever. Hit my slicing cucs overnight. Tried to handpicked and spray, but it was too late. Lost all my plants within 3 days. Didn't touch my pickling cucumbers until almost 2 weeks later and now they are gone too.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”