wysiwyg14
Newly Registered

Help identifying disease or pest?

Hi expert gardeners!!!

I'm wondering if someone could help me. Can anyone help me identify why my two plants are dying? Thinking that it was an insect problem, I sprayed Neem oil all over it... but that doesn't seem to have solved anything. Any suggestions?

Before
IMG_1387.jpg
After
IMG_1386.jpg
Before
IMG_1389.jpg
After
IMG_1388.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The more information you give us, the better help we can be. It's always important to give your location. There are hardly any garden questions that can be discussed without regard to location/ climate. But then more about the conditions your plants have been in - has it been very rainy, how much sun do they get, how have you been caring for them re watering, fertilizing, etc.

But to start with, my guess would be disease, not insects. The clematis most likely has clematis wilt, a fungal condition that they are prone to. I actually gave up on trying to grow clematis in containers, because they always got it.

Here's an article about it: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/ ... -wilt.aspx

A couple highlights from that article:
This organism appears to be activated by high humidity and favorable growing conditions found in early summer. ... Prompt removal of diseased stems. In the event that plants become infected, cut diseased stems just below ground level and destroy them. Spray any remaining, healthy parts of the plant and surrounding soil with a protective fungicide

Welcome to the Forum!

shadylane
Green Thumb

Your first picture wysiwyg14, I believe to be from poor drainage. Your second of the clematis I again believe is clematis wilt which can be corrected. Here is a site to compare and proper care to control it.

https://gardening.about.com/od/perennial ... s_Wilt.htm

shadylane
Green Thumb

Well Rainbow, I did not see your post, sorry about doubling computer a little slow. Great minds think a like? ;)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”