Thornedvine

planting raspberries and blackberries

Hey everyone! I put my raspberry seeds and blackberry seeds in the fridge on 3/5/2015 and I just took them out 2 days ago. now I dumped them into a pot. When will they germinate? They've been in the fridge for quiet some time since they've been in a plastic ziplock bag of peatmoss, vermiculite and perlite. I didnt look to see any germination since it was hard to see. If anyone could tell me when I should see little seedlings. Thanks!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

First of all, cold stratifying cane berry seeds is usually done with the seeds planted in the trays and misted in with water, not just the seeds themselves for longer than your seeds were in the refrigerator. Then the trays are placed in a cold frame with very good lighting and kept moist. Under those conditions they usually begin to come up in 6-8 weeks. By the way they are planted fairly shallowly. The general planting method is to press them very lightly into the soil and then cover with a very thin layer of coir or peat moss. If you have planted them too deep they will not come up at all. Good luck

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”