GatorsUF

Cucumber under attack

What is killing my Cuccs? I assume just aphids...

I have been spraying Neem and Dr Bronners Soap mixed on them, but so far the Aphids are winning. I also spray Captain Jacks Deadbug (Spinosad) from time to time.

Pictures found here:
https://goo.gl/photos/c4Zuv3XY6ZNTMJLP7

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I looked at your picture, but it wasn't real clear re what the damage looks like. For aphids to be killing your cucs, you would have to have a major infestation of them, with the plant mostly covered in aphids. You would be able to easily see that, especially if you look at undersides of leaves and stem joints. Don't "assume" aphids if you haven't seen them. You need to know what you are treating.

As near as I could tell in the not-clear picture, you may have nutrient deficiency going on rather than (or along with) pests.

imafan26
Mod

Definitely got some aphids. Look at the cucumber closely see if there are any holes in it. Pickleworms are common now. I also think you have some fungal issues. I could not zoom in more. If there is powdery white stuff on top , then likely it is powdery mildew.

Yellow spots on leaves may be a sign of downy mildew which is also very common in cucumbers.
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... _Downy.htm

How old is the plant? In the end all of mine will look like that, (except for the downy mildew. I rarely get that one). It is usually when it is time for me to start over.

If this is a young plant, then I agree with Rainbow, the leaves look small and there seems to be way too many cucumbers in that one pot. It would be hard for so many plants to get enough nutrition growing together in one pot. What did you use for fertilizer?

GatorsUF

I think you guys are right, the plants are overcrowded in my pot. This is my first try at gardening so I didn't really have a good feel for how big plants would get and how much room they need.

I certainly have a fair amount of aphids, but I think overcrowding is my biggest issue. Haven't seen any beetles, slugs or other bugs. I get tiny tiny little black, green and white bugs on the underside of the leaves. I've seen a few ladybugs crawling around getting all they can eat, so considering ordering some ladybugs.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”