Tobor
Newly Registered

Zucchini, Peas, Cilantro Turning Colors

I'm a new gardener and I'm having some issues with my vegetable foliage in my raised garden bed being a light green color instead of dark green. I used a blend of soils, including Dr. Earth and Some Miracle Grow mix. I've also fertilized with fish emulsion.

My Zucchini plant appears to be on its last legs and my peas and cilantro are a light green color and are getting Autumn colored splotches.

Strange thing is that I have another planter next to my raised bed and all the vegetables in it look just fine.... Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you can help.

Many Thanks!
2015 06 05_5682.jpg
2015 06 05_5682.jpg
2015 06 05_5682.jpg
2015 06 05_5682.jpg
Attachments
2015 06 05_5692.jpg
2015 06 05_5688.jpg
2015 06 05_5684.jpg

applestar
Mod

I have several ideas. But before I voice them, please tell us what part of the world your garden is located and what kind of weather/temps you have been having.

Tobor
Newly Registered

I live in northern California. temps have been below average, around mid 70's during the day and around 50's at night. not much humidity.

Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Are you sure you are not over watering them?

Tobor
Newly Registered

it's possible, although I've only been watering them about 3-4 times a week. I just bought a soil tester, so I'll be able to better monitor the soil soon.

applestar
Mod

- I thought so -- cilantro looks too lush. Temperature sounds a little too cool for the squash. Soil temp may be too low and stressing the plant. By the time it's hot enough for squash to be happy, cilantro typically starts to bolt.

- but cilantro also gets bronze like that when dried out and stressed or too hot/too much sun,

- I think I'm seeing too much woody chips. If they have been mixed in to the soil and not just on the surface as mulch, nitrogen would be tied up and cause deficiency.

- did you use pea inoculant?

...when you water, HOW DO YOU WATER? "Watering them 3-4 times a week" doesn't really describe the amount of water they are getting. Digging down and feeling with your fingers and hands is a more reliable way to test. That and straight sided container to observe amount of water getting to the plant area.

Tobor
Newly Registered

The wood chips you see are from the Kellogg brand Raised bed and Potting soil mix I used... I didn't know it wasn't a quality soil as I'm new to gardening. No wonder it was the cheapest brand at the store.

To water I typically use either my hose (with shower nozzle) or my sprinklers and run then for about 5 min.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

squash tend to resent overhead watering which can lead to fungal diseases. I have found that careful hand watering of plants in boxes or containers generally works better that sprinklers. If you have trouble saturating the soil, water the boxes twice. You will waste less water and your plants will be happier. That squash might be savable since the center is growing. Try covering it with a tomato cage and clip clear plastic to the top of the cage with clothes pins and form a tent around the plant with the plastic weighted or pinned well away from the leaves on the ground. If you are using thin plastic that you don't care about you can poke some small holes in the top as vents. Leave the plastic on until the plants leaves are up against the plastic then remove or if you start getting temps consistently in the mid to high 80's. That is the best way to treat squash plants in the future and even so it is better not to plant them the very first week they are available at the garden center. Of, course if they are covered you will have to lift the plastic to water it. I "poly tunnel" a whole row of summer and one of winter squash every year up north of you to ensure a crop. Size of the container, spacing of the plants and how well drained the containers are could also be a issue

Tobor
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tip Charlie. The weather is starting to heat up here and the zucchini looks a little better... over course now I have another problem... After just 2 days of 90 degree weather, my bok choy and mustard greens have started to bolt! lol.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”