rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

weeding - or not

I am getting more and more careful about what I pull out when weeding. I leave a lot of the edibles like purslane and lambs quarters and others with beneficial qualities for the garden.

Yesterday I was weeding and mulching one of the garden beds. Found a weed I didn't recognize (if I get a chance later, I'll post a picture). But I noticed all its leaves were covered in holes. Looked a little smaller than typical slug holes, but a little bigger than typical flea beetle holes. But the weed was growing right next to broccoli and cabbage and there were no holes in the broccoli/ cabbage leaves. So I figured whatever it is is doing a great job as trap crop, so I left it alone!

shadylane
Green Thumb

A garden blessing in disguise perhaps :)

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

watch it closely, if it starts to form flowers or seed heads get it out of there immediately. It may not be a pest trap, but is simply being attacked by something very different than would eat the cole crops.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, as it got more developed, became obvious that it was some kind of nightshade. As it was getting ready to flower, I pulled it. It does seem like it was protecting the cabbages, because they are usually pretty heavily damaged and they were untouched. I just pulled the nightshade a couple days ago, so I'm not sure if the cabbages will now start to get eaten.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I read that some observers think nightshade in the garden indicates that the soil is tired of root crops.

imafan26
Mod

I have way too many weeds. I pull out many good plants in the process.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”