GatorsUF

Cucumber under attack

What type of pest is this and what is the best solution to kill/get rid of them? I sprayed the plants off with water, but that seems like it could be a tedious task as they will likely go right back once the plant is dry.
2015-05-12 08.52.09.jpg
2015-05-12 08.52.37.jpg
Neem Oil and Dr Bronners soap is my best guess. How do I apply that without buying an expensive mist sprayer?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Those definitely look like White Flies to me. They love a large variety of plants, both edible & ornamental, & can quickly get out of control. Here's some info on them:

https://www.weekendgardener.net/garden-p ... 030903.htm

I've found Safer brand insecticidal soap is effective against them. Available in both premixed spray bottles & concentrate at most all garden centers & big box stores. It's actually my favorite "friendly" pesticide for many evil little critters.

marty9930

I understand neem oil to be a very natural pesticide. It is just a tree oil, correct? Has anyone used neem oil with good results? My fiancé and I are trying to keep our ground as it has been for decades, and the owner insists on staying away from any chemical treatments of plants. We have a small experimental garden in the works now to see how everything goes.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

marty9930 wrote:I understand neem oil to be a very natural pesticide. It is just a tree oil, correct? Has anyone used neem oil with good results? My fiancé and I are trying to keep our ground as it has been for decades, and the owner insists on staying away from any chemical treatments of plants. We have a small experimental garden in the works now to see how everything goes.

Neem Oil is actually produced by pressing the seeds & fruits of the evergreen Neem tree (native to India). While it actually is an effective organic pesticide, it's sort of heavy guns for White Fly. I still recommend insecticidal soap.

imafan26
Mod

I recommend also planting other plants to attract beneficial insects to the garden especially ladybugs which love white flies and aphids. In the long run the beneficial insects will do a better job without spraying. But it does take time and the damage will not be zero. Beneficial insects control pest to limit the damage but if they eat them all, the beneficial insects would have no reason to stay. :mrgreen:

alyssum, fennel, dill, marigolds (lemon gem), cosmos, Queen Anne's Lace, and butterfly weed. You want plants that will stay in bloom a long time. It is the blooms that attract them.

https://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_a ... enefi.html

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”