Zone5Newbie

Cracking Spinach/Brocoli leaves- cause, remedy please

spinach cracked leaves.jpg
Hi all,

The spinach and broccoli in this pick is about 7 weeks old. most plants seem pretty healthy from what I can tell, but a couple of each are getting cracks in their leave and some browning at the edge of some leaves. I attached a couple pics that hopefully illustrate the problem.

At this point, they've been outside in a raised bed for almost 2 weeks. I've fertilized with fish emulsion/seaweed probably 2 times in their life. Other than that, I planted them in compost/peat moss/vermiculite with added mushroom compost and earthworm castings.

If you can identify a problem, remedy for the cracking leaves that would be much appreciated! thanks! Josh

Zone5Newbie

broccoli cracked leaves.jpg
broccoli 7 weeks.jpg

oops, meant to add 2 more pics...

imafan26
Mod

They look pretty good. It is probably from the change to a harsher environment. Unless you start seeing fungal issues or insects, I would just monitor. The new leaves should come out fine. You are at the tail end of your recommended planting dates.
Last edited by imafan26 on Thu May 07, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zone5Newbie

what a relief to hear! I feel like I have so much invested in these plants haha (1st year gardener). Thanks for replying :)

Igotworms
Cool Member

did you harden them off before putting them outside?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”