Lbruno
Newly Registered

Organic mix

Hey all. I'm about to start planting some fruits and veggies in earthboxes. I have searched the Internet for the best organic potting mix. The best I found was the lamberts organic, but it's not sold locally. Can anyone recommend a great commercially sold organic potting mix. Not miracle grow :). Thanks

applestar
Mod

I'm trying an Earthbox type DIY planters for the first time this year, and have been advised by experienced users to strictly follow the "approved for" list for the first year and not try to tweak anything (which is my tendency :>) :arrow: https://earthbox.com/approved-for-earthbox#

...you may want to join the discussion in this thread :arrow: Subject: Are there any Earthbox growers here?

Lbruno
Newly Registered

Thank you. I did read through that thread.

imafan26
Mod

Gardener and bloom has a good organic potting mix. Actually, I was told I could even use the planting compost and it would have worked. It is pricey but good quality. I don't have a lot of choices here there are only a couple of places that carry it. But, if you go to your local garden center and give them the manufacturer and name of the product and you can get a few friends to promise to buy it some places are willing to bring it in.

I went to Lowe's and asked for some clay orchid pots. They have slits instead of small holes in the pots for drainage and they brought it in and called me when it did come in.

I have done the same with home depot, but they actually brought in something else instead of the one I wanted.

This is a link to the website. I think you are looking at the raised bed potting mix. There is on the site a link to find a retailer near you that carries it.

https://www.kellogggarden.com/products/gborganics/soils/

A word of caution. Kellogg uses sewage sludge in a lot of its products and some people do not like that. Unfortunately, sewage sludge is organic and the Kellog labels do have an OMRI approved organic seal.

They do also make products without sewage sludge but it is not as easy to decipher since their label often labels sludge as part of the compost.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”