sagedavis

Dry Cracked soil.

Hi,
it's been a while since I have been on the forum, but, I am having some issues.

I moved to the house I am in about 3 years ago. It already had a garden (flowers, not foods or herbs).

Having this garden really started me in gardening in general, and only really started this year.

That garden will slowly be replaced with edible plants, but for now, I am doing potted herbs. Next year, I plan on getting some onion, garlic, tomatoe, and probably potatoe or sweet potatoe, but I'm not sure yet. I also plan on getting in some ginger and some fruite like blackberry and so on.

I sort of digressed, however, here is what my question is.
I am in zone 8 (outside of austin tx), with peppermint, rosemary, and lemon balm currently in outside pots. They are doing pretty good, but, the rosemary is getting a little big for it's pot, and I need to decide wether to plant these 3 herbs or to continu pot rotations until after this winter.

My fear is..... The land I live on was, up until about 6 years ago, farm land, with heavy chemicle use to ward off pests. I am not sure if this has caused the "dry cracked" soil, which is almost sand colored in many places, but almost black in a few places here and there.

The cracks in our soil has actually been the cause of our house shifting drasticly (or so I have been told), which says a lot about it.

I just don't know what to do. When I cut my grass, I leave it where it's been cut, I do not rake leaves, I simply allow the nutreants to return to the ground.

I think that composting and then spreading the new organic material would most likely help this situation.

But, what should I do in the mean time? Should I keep potting until I fix the soil situation or should I til up an area to plant my herbs in NOW? Perhaps adding coffee grinds, some top soil and some eggshells?

I am truely trying to be organic in a widely unorganic agricultural town.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sage

pixelphoto

sounds like the years of traditional farming have stripped the soil.
You need many truck loads of manure and compost spread along the land to get enough organic material back into the earth.
the few grass clippings and leaves probably arent enough to really "build up" the soil.
I would find a good source of manure and spread it thickly all over the land get someone with a tractor to till it in good so its mixed in with the native soil you have.
Also to be organic it takes 3 years of no chemical or pesticide use before you can claim organic growing practices. I would really try to build up the soil with as natural of practices as possible in the mean time.

sagedavis

Pix,
Since I'm really doing this for myself, and perhaps later giving some to my neighbors and so on, I am not really wanting to get the whole USDA certification or anything... BUT, knowing that this hasn't been farmland for at least 3 years (since I have been here that long, and it's all been grass since I've been here), does help me a bit.

Your information is great.
I had actually planned on doing a couple or raised beds to start off.... but, one thing I planned on doing was diggin up the top layer (to get past grass roots and so on so that I have less of a likelyhood of getting that grass to grow up into it), and carting in some organic, or composting...

I like your tilling idea, perhaps I will rent a tiller and do half of the yard one now and half of it later this year... at least the front yard where I plan on planting everything, since my Great Dane (Duke) has the run of the back yard.

Thanks for the information here, it's fantastic, and at least gives me something to think about.

Sage

pixelphoto

for raised beds I used concrete cinder blocks again I'm trying to become certified organic.
You can use wood but I would advise against pressure treated lumber as some of the chemicals can be bad for you and you wouldnt want those leaching into the soil and being uptook by the roots of your food plants.

I first put down large pieces of cardboard to smother and keep down the weeds. Then I put down my cinder blocks into the shape of a rectangle or rows. then put good manure and compost into the blocks for growing.
Heres a link to the picture. I havent laid the cardboard down in that pic but I was laying down a few blocks to measure and see how many more I needed to order and see the layout of my design.
You get the idea.
https://www.freewebs.com/copefarms/100_2122small.jpg

Hope that helps.

sagedavis

Mike,
These are great ideas.
I already planned on using NON TREATED wood. Cedar isn't too expensive, and my small garden came with cedar already used as it's border. I might stick with that.

My only thought about using the Cedar though is that, you have to steak them together (if you're piling the boards on top of eachother), or your dirt will drain out during a heavy rain.

I will start on everything in mid october (since I'm going out of town soon, and don't want to really start right this moment while getting ready).
I have to remember to take before, during and after photos.

Thanks again. Big help.
Sage

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”