Grey
Greener Thumb

Bamboo as a fence?

Time.com had a little blurb that briefly mentioned using live bamboo as a fence. Bamboo, apparently, is good at sucking up CO2. Hubby has also always loved bamboo, so I am considering it over a regular fence or over the much-loved Leland Cypress which is often used as a green fence.

And, I need a fence. My neighbors on one side are unsightly, and the taller the fence the happier my husband and I will be (we've joked about needing a 15 ft Wall of China). I'm not crazy over the cypress because I have 2 dogs, one that loves to go exploring, and the dense habit of bamboo would keep her contained, though I know it would take a while for it to be that thick.

Unfortunately, even though I grew up with some bamboo, it was in FL, not GA, and I do know it has a terrible spreading habit. How would you find it best to contain this living fence? Concrete pots settled in the ground? This site: https://www.bamboonursery.com/maintenance.htm mentions that bamboo has roots up to 3 feet in depth. I wonder if the "container" would need to be that deep, or if only one foot depth of "container" would prevent it from spreading.

EDIT: I found some more info: https://www.bamboos.com/FAQ.html

Any bamboo experts out there?

UncleDave

I really like the idea of a bamboo fence. Let me know if you find any more information about this topic, and I will do the same.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Great!

So far what I have found is there are 2 kinds of root systems for bamboo - the invasive runner-type that is hard to contain, and then others have the more clumping habit, and spreads a lot slower than the other. So, next time I get a chance I'll be looking into what clumping type gets nice and tall in my zone and what sort of soil it needs. Sounded almost like you can plant it anytime, though I would imagine fall would be great so the roots can sink in and then come spring they can grow super fast.

pixelphoto

bamboo will not take over if taken care of otherwise the whole world would be covered in the stuff.
Heres a great website that sells and has ALOT of info on their site.
They are very helpful and can answer all your questions they are in Alabama and can ship to you easily.
I too am in Georgia I am on the 7b 8a border line.

lewisbamboo.com

Grey
Greener Thumb

Awesome! Thank you pixelphoto!
I'm very close to the Alabama line, which helps too. :)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”