caverdude

looking for a natural carpet like material to use as mulch

Last year I had the bright idea to use, used carpet for mulch. I'm now rethinking this strategy. I think I better come up with a natural fiber alternative. It would be cool if some entity were weaving straw or grass into carpet. Are there other natural fibers being woven into something that would be cheap and function like mulch? Something like felted hair or wool might be good, but probably not cheap.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

do a search on "straw mats for landscaping" there's lots of different kind of stuff. This is just one e.g. I found:

https://masterlandscapesupply.com/catalo ... cts_id=466

Mr green
Green Thumb

Jute might be a good option.

imafan26
Mod

Why not Astroturf. It is good enough for Football stadiums?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

certainly not a "natural fiber"! Will never break down or feed the soil and I'm not sure about how breathable it is to let air and water through, which is really important for mulch.

Anyway caverdude made all his posts except this one, in two days Jan 21-22. Came back a month later and made this one post and then nothing since, so probably not around any more.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

My favorite mulch is pine straw. An initial thick layer is required (12"+). It quickly packs down and creates a carpet. The intertwining of the straw creates a natural carpet that inhibits weed growth but allows water passage. It is slow to decompose so annual refreshment is not as much as wood mulches.

It is also more insect resistant than wood mulches. Even Cypress mulch (which I hope you do not use) is NOT resistant to termites regardless of what you may hear.

Good luck

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”