LilacLady
Newly Registered

Starting Seeds Question

Hey All,

I'm starting seeds for the first time ever and I have flats with covers on them And heat mats beneath them to raise the soil temps.

But the tops of the flats are getting an insane amount of condensation.

Should I water the seedlings less to compensate or poke some vents Into the tops to let air circulate? I don't want the seedlings to drow, if that's even possible.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

If the seedlings are up, take off the covers and put your light source down to an inch or two from the top of the plants. If the seeds have not yet germinated, put the cover a little askew so that some air gets in and reduces the condensation. You don't need to water the seeds during germination if you moistened the soilless mix before sowing seeds. The condensation indicates that was done. Only water the soil if it is dried out completely. From the sound of it you are OK, better a little wet than too dry. Soaking wet is not what you want.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Please check out the seed starting basics thread here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=44183

I don't use the humidity domes, for the reason you are finding--they trap way too much moisture which is dangerous for little seedlings. As soon as the first seedlings have germinated you need to open the dome or get rid of it.

You can't let seeds / little seedlings dry out, but too much moisture is dangerous for them. They are prone to a fungal condition called damping off in conditions of too much moisture and too little air circulation (e.g. under a dome), which is fatal. Damping off can be prevented, but not cured.

LilacLady
Newly Registered

Thank you. I'll check out the seed starting thread, as well.:)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would not worry about the condensation. Bound to happen, damp soil on a heat pad, water evaporates, then condenses on the dome, runs back down into the soil.

I do not use a moisture trap or dome either when starting seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, James, but that sounds a little contradictory. Yes, the condensation is bound to happen and that does not make it not dangerous to the seedlings. That's why you and I do not use the domes.

Too much moisture kills way more seedlings than too little!!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”