GardenFresh

Suggestion on fertilizer / compost material for raised beds?

Hey All-

I have about 8 (4x8) raised beds that really did not do well last growing season for whatever reason (compared to previous seasons). Plants were not as vibrant and did not produce as they have in the past. I am thinking my soil could use a "refresh" of some sort but I am not sure how to go about it. When I initially put in my raised beds a few years ago, the mix is nothing but top soil and mushroom soil. This has essentially stayed the same and I am thinking it is time for some soil nourishment!

I do not have a compost pile...I tried one with grass clippings but it did not work out. I live in a windy area so my material constantly blows around. Should I just go to one of the home improvement stores and buy some sort of organic fertilizer? If so, when should I do this compared to when I start my garden?

Thanks....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fertilizer feeds plants but it really does not rebuild soil. You need to find some kind of organic materials. It won't help for right now, but you really should have a compost pile/ bin. If you put your stuff in a bin, it will not blow around. Grass clippings do not make compost by themselves, they need to be mixed with some carbon rich materials like fall leaves, straw, shredded paper, etc. Browse in our Compost Forum for lots more information. In the meantime you can probably buy bagged compost or better yet (since you have a lot of beds to fill) look for some garden supply place that will bring you out a truckload of it. Way cheaper.

You are right that your diminished plant productivity is likely a sign of depleted soil.

imafan26
Mod

I also suggest you get a soil test and ask for organic recommendations. If it was productive before but not now, it may need the pH , or specific nutrients adjusted.

Adding organic matter is always a good thing, but it should be added every time you plant. It is not a once and done deal.

I try not to add more than 20% organic matter at one time, but I have clay soil and if I add more than that it holds too much water.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I suggest adding stuff, which can vary by availability, preference and budget. I am in an urban setting and used bagged stuff. A truck load of anything would be a logistic nightmare in my situation. Instead of going with one product, mix several. To spread the work and $ out, start with the bed your planting earliest, and move on down the line. When I am re-working an area mix several things together, no 2 batches alike. For one 4 x 8 I'd go with at least one black gold and 1 -2 bags other. First clean off bed, work in any leaves, then sprinkle the bags of stuff on evenly. Work in with tiller or by hand. I also add some fresh top soil, and I like the cheaper one that has some sand to keep it loose.
Some suggestions
mushroom, which you have used.
natures helper (Home Depot)
cotton burr (found at some private garden centers)
manure (black gold-Lowes). This has some sand so helps in mixing and drainage
compost, when you can make some

imafan26
Mod

When you make compost, you need to build it with greens and browns. The grass would have been greens. If you had kept it together it would probably have been a slimy mess. I know, I made a rookie compost mistake using mostly chayote greens and weeds and not enough browns. Slimy and the weeds grew in the pile.

shadylane
Green Thumb

gardenfresh you could look into a compost roller bin. Sturdy enough that it wouldn't blow, easy enough to give a turn every day. Depending on it's size, it may give you at least a couple of inches or less to spread on your beds. That is all you need to get started in the future.
I would suggest to add bone meal and potassium. It sounds like a deficiency in reduced growth and vigor of plants. It's great for a quick start. Also add calcium, this would give your plants a more strong form and not one that is retarded in growth.
Composting is important and has all natural ingredients that your plants need to be healthy and not prone to diseases.
Look into your gardening supplier for organic plant food. Read the listings on back and work a little into the soil.

Flowers

My suggestion would be to try a different mix of things and different types of compost in each bed if you can. Then you can see which one works out the best for your area, your soil, the plants, and your growing style. If you do try that, report back to us, id love to know what happens :)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”