Jazzyrick
Newly Registered

Marketmore cucumber. All female flowers

I had two cucumber plants growing in my aquaponics setup. Marketmore variety, non-hybrid, non-parthenocarpic. I have let them go for a good 4 months. Many many female flowers, and out of all that time I think maybe I've found 2 male flowers. By the time I saw the males they didn't seem to pollinate any of the females. Yes I picked it, and manually did as much pollination as I could.

I guess my question is could a certain nutrition deficiency cause a plant to only produce female flowers? I've had many dozens of female flowers. Hypothetically I should have cucumbers coming out of my backside if there were some males to pollinate all the female flowers.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings Rick, Welcome, We had a great hill of Armenian Cucumber this year. I couldn't find what I thought was a female flower in all the flowers, and there were many. Well, we picked much fruit from that one hill, they seem to know what they're doing.
I don't think what you have there is nutrient related related. We'll see if anyone has a different idea on the subject.

Some of us would like to hear more about your Aquaponic set up. Have a great day.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

I had the same problem with my zucchini last year and this year I put in two plants and got a few more zucchini but still had issues with the male and female blossoms not being out at the same time.

I read that this crazy weather we are having may partially be to blame as cucurbits like warm weather. Cool weather adversely affects flowering and fruit set. Next year I am getting parthenocarpic zucchini. I already grow parthenocarpic cucumbers and they set fine.

I tried marketmore. It did set good fruit, but I like the Japanese cucumbers more. They are not bitter.

pow wow

Sorry to read about you problem with the marketmore cucumbers jazzyrick. That's all I grow in my greenhouse because they have always been a never fail cuc for me. I've never had to pollinate them but during their flowering the double doors and vents are kept open at all times to keep the air circulation at it's max.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Interesting. It seems the male flowers usually appear first and outnumber the female flowers. They do require a pollinator, bee or insect or gardener..............
I can only suggest plant two varieties and several plants. Hopefully to get plenty of blossoms.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”