Lisvita
Newly Registered

Worms eating my zucchini roots! Help

I am pretty new to gardening and this is my first time growing zucchini. I have searched and cant find any pictures of little black worms eating the stem of the plant, mostly just white grub worms. Does anyone know what these are and the best way to get rid of them organically? Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

White grubs are Squash Vine Borers. You can dig them out and then cover the vine with more dirt. I saw someone here putting tinfoil around the base of the vines. Some are injecting BT bacteria, available at stores, into the hollow stems. They are a real pain in the hiney!

I think the darker ones are Centipedes. Lemme do some lookin....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Ya. The centipedes are eating the leftover dead plant refuse from the SVB. They are just the cleanup crew.

Lisvita
Newly Registered

Is it too late for that plant?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Has it wilted?

IME, my plants have to take a pretty serious infestation before they quit producing. Many times, they show signs of SVB before they get large enough to fruit. I just say a prayer, bless their hearts, and they give me some fruits until they wilt. I've not found anything aside from tight row covers that keep them away. They your plants have to be hand pollinated..... Meh...

Dig it out and cover until they just can't take it anymore.

I have considered BT stem injections though. But I'm afraid if I go and buy it, I'll just spray my whole garden. Caterpillars have just been a sore subject for me this year... I'm holding a grudge on them.

Lisvita
Newly Registered

No they have not wilted and they have plenty of fruit! So I guess I should try something..

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Totally up to you! :() I'm no longer taking any extreme measures. Where I live, they are a quick crop and then done and gone. I WILL dig the little boogers out and cut them in half. Every time I pull a plant, I cut out the grub.

applestar
Mod

When I planted the eggplant where there used to be SVB ridden winter squash, I found a few big ones under the soil -- I'm guessing these had dropped out of the vine and were getting ready to pupate. Did not see any pupa but not sure if I would have recognized them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

people have different experiences, but IME once the plant has the vine borers in it, it doesn't take very long before it wilts and collapses and is gone. I get 1-2 fruits before that happens. I've given up on growing zucchini because of it.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Apple, how deep are you finding them?

Rainbow, my zucchini is heartier than my squash! Took this yesterday. Squash in the front, zucchini in the back, they both have obvious SVB damage.

My squash tend to "run" more than my zucchini, and I'm wondering if this leaves the crown more vulnerable to the borers. I almost always have quicker decline in squash vs zucchini.

applestar
Mod

I found them just from initial hand raking to smooth the area, so no more than 2-3 inches deep.

On my squash vines, it seemed like the moth went along the vine and laid eggs at every leaf node. :evil:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”