Todd GFP
Newly Registered

Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus

Hey all,

We had a problem recently with TSWV on a row of our tomatoes and are figuring out what to do next. Its right about time here in Louisiana to go ahead and start seeding for fall tomatoes. We want to put them right back into the same bed. Seeing as TSWV isnt soil-borne (comes in from an outside source, like thrips) we were thinking that it shouldnt be a problem to just seed them right where we pulled them out. Anyone ever had this happen? Did you replace the composted soil?

Thanks for the help,

Todd

JC's Garden

I'm in South Georgia. Whole fields get wiped out. Quite often they plant right back in the same place. I agree with your logic but if I have a choice, I plant elsewhere. The soil you have could be used for anything not affected by TSWV.

imafan26
Mod

Just to be safe plant a tomato that is resistant to TSWV. The disease is transmitted by thrips and they are generalists, that have many hosts. Thrip control is difficult especially if you are trying to be organic. Even with chemical controls, it is tough to control them. Luckily there are a lot of tomatoes out there with resistance to TWSV.

Sometimes you have to try a few to find a tomato you like and survives all of the diseases and pests it encounters, but try to have fun doing that.

You could use spinosad, but you need to treat everything in the yard thoroughly. Spinosad is organic and should not hurt most of the beneficial insects, but the downside is that unless you use enough of it to get a good kill percentage, the bugs become resistant to it quickly. That is why it can only be used twice a year. You will need to follow it up with other measures like taking care of the alternate hosts, monitoring with sticky blue traps, and using insecticidal soap or some other product. Attract beneficial insects to help control their numbers.

Since I don't like to spray, I do attract the beneficial organisms to my garden. I don't want to get rid of plumeria, roses, amaryllis, or gardenia, so I know the thrips are not going away. So, far I have been lucky, I have not had TSWV. I did get TYLCV, but I rouged out the plants, got rid of the soil, and bleached the pot. I did not plant tomatoes for about a year after that, and so far the tomatoes I have now are fine. :mrgreen:

https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... Table.html
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... edWilt.htm

applestar
Mod

Someone suggested that my Giant Marconi Red which is changing color in a strange way may be affected by TSWV. Can any one with experience with thIs disease confirm? ...or hopefully reassure me? The plant is growing in the sweet pepper SIP with other varieties...and this SIP is connected to another by a siphoned watering line..... :?
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Do the leaves have the mosaic pattern too?

applestar
Mod

I didn't notice. Let me look through my photos and see....

applestar
Mod

No, I don't think so -- the pepper leaves look healthy to me.

But the Dragon Tongue wax beans in the foreground planted along the edge of the SIP are slowly losing leaves... But they are still producing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 1750 times

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”