sunflower13

Organic fertilizer

From my research of people's opinion, the best organic food for the veggie garden is brewed compost teas. My problem is that I have a plot away from home so lifting tea is too much work for a bad back and there is no where to brew it at the site. So I was curious what everyone's favorite food/fertilizer is for the garden, especially tomatoes? Thanks all!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

just plain compost.... I also make compost infusions, which aren't brewed. Just put a shovel full of compost in a bucket of water add a little molasses and stir it around for a few minutes to give it a little chance to get started.

sunflower13

Thanks, Rainbowgardener! I will do this :).

imafan26
Mod

How do you water your garden? Why can't you make the tea there? You can either use a battery aerator, they make them for fisherman or you can make non aerated tea. It works just fine.

For organic fertilizer, I use fish emulsion in my miracle grow sprayer. You can also used aged manures, blood meal, bone meal, or kelp meal. Sustain is a granular organic fertilizer 4-6-4 is a general purpose fertilizer that is omni rated.
it is mostly fish meal.
Some people use azomite, as it improves root development
I have also used Scott's organic lawn fertilizer NPK 11-2-2 . Based on my soil test I do not need phosphorus, potassium or calcium. Just nitrogen. This product has one of the highest nitrogen ratings next to blood meal.

Decado
Green Thumb

I like Neptune's fish and seaweed fertilizer. Works great, especially alongside a tea regimen.

sunflower13

Thanks, Decado and Iamafan! Plants seem to really love fish by everyone's suggestions so I will include that in my plot :). My seedlings are so small. I can't wait till they explode in size. The weather has been weird here.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I used to use fish emulsion but that was recently taken off the organic list and it makes my garden smell funny. I like to use Liquid Kelp and this stuff called Earth Juice Grow. You use a splash per gallon of water. I also have gotten this seabird guano stuff - Peruvian Seabird Guano and this is really high (12-11-2) but everything LOVES it. I will use the kelp and earth juice about once a month - they're both light fertilizers. The Peruvian Seabird Guano I will just use once unless something really needs it as it packs a powerful punch.

Decado
Green Thumb

What do you mean fish emulsion was taken off the organic list?

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Decado wrote:What do you mean fish emulsion was taken off the organic list?
It used to be labeled as organic but now it isn't anymore because it is no longer considered organic. Maybe it is different brands. But I know the brand I used to buy - I think it was called Alaskan or something like that - had a note that it no longer could be labeled organic. It says on the label not to be used if you want to use it for organic gardening.

grrlgeek

RogueRose wrote:
Decado wrote:What do you mean fish emulsion was taken off the organic list?
It used to be labeled as organic but now it isn't anymore because it is no longer considered organic. Maybe it is different brands. But I know the brand I used to buy - I think it was called Alaskan or something like that - had a note that it no longer could be labeled organic. It says on the label not to be used if you want to use it for organic gardening.
That's interesting. I use Alaska 5-1-1 and it still has the OMRI label. Was the note pertaining to OMRI or another certifying agency? I live in CA, so it's possible there's something your state's agency believes that mine does not. I would be interested to know more.

However, that brand in particular is currently listed on the OMRI Products List:

https://www.omri.org/simple-opl-search/r ... er%205-1-1
https://www.omri.org/manufacturers/65436 ... ler-brands

This is OMRI's current postion on Stabilised Liquid Fish: Allowed. (some formulations are allowed with restrictions). Read more about it here:

https://www.omri.org/simple-gml-search/r ... stabilized

RogueRose
Green Thumb

It could be my state. Although CA is usually pretty on top of things. These folks on this forum are discussing what I saw on my label a couple years ago: https://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 341.html?6

Maybe they changed their formula

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”